Hooking up a Linksys WRT54GL to a Verizon Fios Actiontec (tutorial needed)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LauraR, May 20, 2008.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I have Verizon Fios. Because of the tv I must use the Actiontec router they supplied.

When I had it installed, the tech was nice enough to piggyback my Linksys router so I could still use that for my wireless internet. Since then, there was a prob with my internet (the problem was on their end) that they fixed remotely. Unfortunately, with the fix, my network was no longer finding my linksys as an available network. It was finding the Actiontec.

The Actiontec router is beyond crappy as far as speed and signal strength as I get further from the router. I never had a problem like this with my linksys.

I basically need to know how to connect the two so I can use the Linksys for wireless and the Actiontec as just a router.

Right now the connections are wall coax to router and wall ethernet to WAN. Then ethernet is going out from LAN 1 to the desktop.

How do I connect the Linksys and the Actiontec? (and yes, I completely disconnected the two when the Linksys wasn''t working since I was going to give the Actiontec a chancerolleyes)

Then what settings do I need to change on each of the router/s?

Also, do I need to hook up the Linksys alone first to change these settings?

A basic tutorial would be much appreciated.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

lets start with the model numbers on each device, believe your using verzion for an isp?

3. LauraR

Linksys WRT54GL (original firmware)
    Actiontec MI424 WR

Yep..verizon Fios

Thanks again Cman!

4. LauraR

Figured it all out. :)

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Glad you figured it out.

But... "Linksys WRT54GL (original firmware)"?

Flash that sucker to Tomato or DD-WRT. It is worth it for the ability to boost the wireless signal!

E

6. LauraR

When I originally got this router, I had every intention of flashing to DD-WRT. Hell, I even have the instruction bookmarked after a year. :-D

As you can see by my original post, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to routers. I'm actually pretty impressed with myself for bridging the two routers. :-D

So, is it really worth it for me? The only thing I would be interested in is speed and signal strength, not all the other settings.

7. LauraR

Just for anyone doing a search who has Verizon Fios:

I left the settings on the Actiontec as is (it must remain as your main router).

Linksys settings:

In Basic Setup:
    -Change DHCP Automatic to PPPoE
    -Change Local IP to 192.168.1.x (x being something other than 1. Mine is 5)
    -Disable DHCP server

In Advanced Routing:
    -Change Gateway to Router

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I am not sure about the speed, did not test mine speedwise before flashing the BIOS. With Tomato, I can adjust the wireless power from 1-251, with 42 as the default. So if you want a lot of range, you can get it, or if you don't want anyone leaching your signal, you can turn it down.

I have seen where you should put a heatsink on the wireless chip if you are going to crank it up! I put a leftover sink on mine, works great up to 170 or so, have not cranked it all the way up.

I am running mine pretty much at default except for wirless security. I would think the setup on yours would be pretty much the same as you have it now. Never bridged one myself... So not totally sure.

E

9. LauraR

Thanks Fred.

All that info is pretty much beyond my knowledge.:-D

Maybe one of these days, I'll get the nerve to do it. Right now I'm not have any signal issues (with the linksys, anyway. The actiontec on the other hand is basically a POS).

The WRT54GL is a great router for the money, though, huh?:)

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

LauraR, I found all those settings you listed on my router in just a couple of mins. I did not see where to disable DHCP, but to change it to PPPoE would disable it I think. You have to select DHCP, PPPoE, static, or one of a couple of others.

So I don't think you would have a problem.

Definantly a good router for the money!

E

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  11. LauraR

I had originally used Linksys' download to set it up automatically for you. I wasn't getting any internet (even when I was hardwired) because it left the setting as DHCP.

I decided to check out the settings on the Actiontec, and figured out that you had to change it to PPPoE.

In order to bridge the two routers, one of the things you had to do was disable the DHCP Server. After I changed DHCP Automatic to PPPoE, the option to disable the DHCP Server was still there, so I disabled it.

12. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Firmware upgrades are nice and all, but if you dont need the features, leave it be. Laura im glad you got it figured out on your own. If your happy with your current signal/speed then dont upgrade your firmware just because.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds