Apperently my IP has been blacklisted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Recycle Bin, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

I got blacklisted somehow and I get this message when I try to register at a certain forum:
    IP [blurfaderf] is listed in a public Block List: see http://openrbl.org/

What does this mean and how can I remove my IP from this blacklist?
    I don't even know what any of this means or how it got there.

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

i HATE blacklists. I was on CBL for email spam. Had some kind of trojan on my network spamming emails. either that or i had an open relay. either way, i wasnt able to send emails out to the internet. it really sucked.

go to mxtoolbox.com
    Click blacklists
    Enter your public IP

This will give you info on all the blacklists you may be on.

Do this and let me know what lists youre on, if any.

3. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

To my knowledge blacklists are usually associated with email, rather than web traffic. Typically, there's a reason why your IP address has been placed on a blacklist. The usual cause is that the computer with that IP address (or one of the computers NAT'ed or PAT'ed behind that IP address) is infected and sending out spam. The first course of action is to stop whatever has caused you to be added to the blacklist (i.e. clean up the infection). I like McAfee's TrustedSource because it will show you deviations from standard mail flow, as well as whether you are considered "trusted"...

http://www.trustedsource.org/

After that, then work on getting your IP address off of the blacklist. Spamhaus provides their policy for delisting here:

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/delistingprocedure.html

As it pertains to email, unless you are an organization, most home users relay through their ISP and don't send email directly from their computer's IP address (unless it happens to be infected with something). If your ISP's mail server has been blacklisted then you'll most likely be at the mercy of your ISP until they resolve the issue.

4. Recycle Bin

E: Found another
    Also my IP seems to not be able to change. It always changed before but now it won't ever since I found out about this a few days ago anyone know why?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  5. Recycle Bin

Update:
    It was gone for a little while but it went back onto a blacklist.

Help!

6. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Is this a corp network youre having problems on or just your home network?

go to mxtoolbox.com
    Click blacklists
    Enter your public IP

If youre a on blacklist, this site should tell you what one youre on and how to get off it.

7. Recycle Bin

Both MXtoolbox and spamhaus ask me to provide my own domain email to remove my IP.
    I don't even own one of those.

8. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

You should call your isp then. theres nothing we can do to help on this one if its just your home computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds