[Help]BadBlocks on HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkheart38, Nov 15, 2011.

1. darkheart38

darkheart38 Private E-2

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Im not to sure about the "bad blocks" error. You may want to try chkdsk /f /r where the /f stands for full. This will check the disk surface. Be warned, this can take a while to run.

You could also download and run seatool disk diagnostic from here

Lastly you have a lot of processes running which will slow your PC down considerably. It may be worth looking at some of the tasks and uninstalling stuff you dont need. Have a look in task manager and see if you can identify which process is maxing your CPU.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just to add on the chkdsk is that it looks like the bad block error(s) are on your D: drive so you would want to run chkdsk D: /f /r or chkdsk D: /r

Probably won't change your slow down but might get rid of the bad block error if the block is marked unusable.

4. darkheart38

darkheart38 Private E-2

i'll try doing the chkdsk /f/r.. and running the seagate diagnostic tool..
    i'll gi my feedback later.. thank you very much...:)

5. darkheart38

darkheart38 Private E-2

i've done the chkdsk /r/f on drive D:
    but still no effect...

i've also ran sea tools... and its failed whenever i do the short generic.. and here's the result..

now i've downloaded seatools for dos..
    made it on a usb as bootable seatools..a

whenever i run tests.. it seems that the test does not ran at all...

6. darkheart38

darkheart38 Private E-2

btw.. i forgot to mention...
    that whatever test i try in seatools in dos
    it seems freeze..
    but i can still move the mouse..
    the progress bar doesnt even start or budge...

what can i do???

7. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

I hate to be the barer of bad news but I think it is time to buy a new disk.

Ill see if Sach2 agrees but if Seatools wount run its not a good sign. If you install your OS on a new drive you may be able to read from your old disk and be able to get the data off.

8. darkheart38

darkheart38 Private E-2

oh...:cry

are laptop HDs replaceable??

is it the same HD for a desktop, if i ever buy a new one??

my moms gonna kill me.lol

9. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

The HDs are replacable. Most laptops nowadays use 2.5" Sata drives. you can pretty much pick the size acording to your budget. The only issue that you sometimes have is that most laptop manufacturers dont supply installation CD with all the data on the disk. The drive image is normally stored in a hidden partion on the laptops HD so when you take the HD out you take out the OS image. If you buy a disk I think you will need to find an original Windows Disk from somewhere to re-install. Once you have your new HD you can get a drive caddy and you may be able to get your data off your old drive.

10. darkheart38

darkheart38 Private E-2

sir, i made the seatools for dos work by changing the HD read type on my CMOS...

from IDE to AHCI...

i completed my long test on my HD... 100%

and i was able to repair a lot of errors that happened during the process..

the effect i noticed is the freezing or lagging decreased... but it still happens.. maybe every 15 mins... (freeze for 2-3 seconds)

then.. even if im in idle.. my cpu usage in task manager is 10-20%

is it still faulty???

11. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

the CPU usage is normal. not to sure about the freezes. could be anything from software to overheating

12. den942

den942 Private E-2

I have probably salvaged 20 plus hard drives with Harddrive Regenerator. It repairs sectors
    that are damaged. One hard drive would not boot. I used this to get it bootable again
    then removed over 800 viruses from the hard drive.
    http://www.dposoft.net/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds