Laptop freezes when I don't move the mouse...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Erna, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Erna

Erna Private E-2

Hello,

First of all, I apologize if my problem has been already mentioned... I don't think so, but you never know... :-o

I have a HP Pavillion dv9500 laptop (with Vista) and since a couple of weeks my laptop freezes completely after 5 minutes of not moving my mouse...
    When I say freezes completely I mean that I can still move my mouse but nothing is happening anymore.... CTR+ALT+DEL doesn't work either....:cry

The only thing I can do is use the on/off button to restart my computer (which it does without any problems, it also starts up my mail and internet without any problems).

I don't want to complain, but I hope you understand that it is very annoying that I have to go to my laptop every 5 minutes to move my mouse.... I can get nothing done this way.... ;)

Can anybody help me please, because I am at my wits end and I am afraid the only solution will be to reinstall everything, which is something I would like to avoid....:(

Thank you in advance,

Erna

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Try checking your power options settings in your control panel, though this shouldn't be causing this, it's worth a look.

Make changes, any changes, to any and all of the options, just for the sake of change.

Are all your updates installed? Should be on SP2, I believe.

Before considering a reinstall, from a command prompt with admin privileges, run sfc /scannow.

This should produce a log if there are any files it couldn't fix.

3. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

Also check the screen saver settings as I've seen screen savers crash machines before.

If none of this resolves the issue try booting into safe mode and see if the issue remains
    as you need to determine if it's the operating system or some third party software causing
    the problem.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

For the moment, remove the mouse completely. Does the computer still freeze after 5 minutes? (I'm trying to decide if the problem might be the mouse & maybe USB port or some software installed on the computer).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds