Battery/Power Problem - Half Resovled - Need additional advice - HP Pavillion dv6700

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlazarus, Sep 2, 2009.

1. jlazarus

jlazarus Private E-2

So last night I am using the laptop, and pretty much drained it almost all the way. Instead of plugging it in (like I normally do) I shut shut the lid and went to sleep. The laptop is just over 1 year old.

This morning - laptop appears dead. When plugged in - nothing. No flashy lights, nothing. Just dead. My first thought was that of course the battery is dead - but why is it not charging? Researched and Researched (using hubby's lp) - tried all the 'tricks' - i.e., removing battery and AC, holding power button for 60 seconds, etc...Nothing.

I have an older model HP Pavillion (dv2000 series) that was damaged but I have kept it thinking eventually I'd try to get some stuff off the hard drive. That laptop has some serious issues - but power isn't one of them.

So to test the adapter, I took the battery out of the dv2000, and plugged the adapter in and turned it on (on this lp, "on" just means lights up and slight funky noises - but hey, whatever works, right?). Worked fine - so Adapater not a problem.

I then took the battery out of the dv2000 and put it in the dv6700. Didn't boot - but did get the 3 flashy lights (yay!).

So I then took the battery from the dv6700 and put it in the dv2000. Plugged up the adapter and just let it sit for about 15 minutes.

Took the battery out, put it in the dv6700 - and it booted just fine - works just fine....except...

It's not charging - and of course it was only about 7% charged at that point, so.....

So then I'm thinking ok...maybe it's the jack. But I have a nice little HP docking station/expansion base - which of course doesn't use the Adapter jack directly to the laptop, but instead you hook the laptop to the base via an expansion cable. The base gets power fine (tested that too by connecting the old laptop up to it)...

So, there is something in my laptop (the dv6700) that is preventing the battery from being charged by the Adapter OR the expansion base - which have two different types of connections. The battery is being charged fine in the old laptop

What is the next step in diagnosing this issue?

And, is there any harm in allowing the battery to fully charge in the old laptop and then putting it in the dv6700? Although the battery fits both laptops - the old laptop actually is made for a slightly different battery (the serial numbers on it are not the same). Just don't want to charge it in the old lp and then put it in the new one to find out it fries something (maybe that's a stupid question) :)

Thanks!

2. jlazarus

jlazarus Private E-2

Re: Battery/Power Problem - Half Resovled - Need additional advice - HP Pavillion dv

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this? Still having issues.

I can run the laptop fine if I take the battery out, put it in the old laptop and charge it, then stick it back in my laptop. So the battery will charge without a problem. Lasts about 2 hours, which is about right for basic battery.

I don't understand why this laptop will not charge the battery? I place it in the expansion base, plug it in - the expansion base works fine - music plays through the speakers, mouse works, keyboard, etc.. - so the expansion base has power and works, but will not charge the battery - so still have to take the battery out every two hours and plug into the other laptop and wait for charge.

Plugging AC adapter directly into the laptop doesn't work either.

Is there some type of other power supply inside the laptop that has an issue maybe?

3. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Re: Battery/Power Problem - Half Resovled - Need additional advice - HP Pavillion dv

If the battery is not charging and the ac adapter doesn't power it up, then I would have to say you have a problem with the jack that the ac adapter plugs in to. Is the laptop still under warranty? And I don't see a problem with the older laptop charging your battery for you other than being inconvenient.

4. jlazarus

jlazarus Private E-2

Thank you for your reply. I don't think it's the jack. Here's why:

There are two methods I can use to charge my laptop.

1st is the basic method - i.e., plug ac adapter into jack on side of laptop. That doesn't work. So based on that alone, I'd agree it was probably the jack. However....

2nd method is by placing the laptop into the HP Expansion Base - the Expansion base has speakers, my keyboard, mouse, etc.. hooked up to it. The AC Adapter connects/powers to the expansion board. I plug the laptop into the expansion board via a **Different* connection (a SCSI cable that is connected to the expansion base).

If it were just the jack, then I would understand not being able to charge the battery. But even when the laptop is plugged into the expansion base - bypassing the jack altogether - it still won't charge.

The battery is obviously ok because I can charge it on another laptop.

It is very inconvenient. I work from home and usually just have it plugged into the expansion base during the day. Now I have to work in shifts while the battery charges. Guess I could go get another battery and always have one charging - but the other inconvenience is having to power the Laptop off and on 8 times a day just to change the battery. I'm thinking there must be another solution.

It's not under warranty. Just over a year old. :(

5. lcsmith39

I don't really know that much about the expansion bases for those laptops but it is possible that when being powered through the base it bypasses the battery all together and just powers the machine. Thus not charging the battery. I would still be suspicious of the ac jack. Only way I know of to check it is to crack open the case which is why I asked if it was still under warranty.

6. jlazarus

jlazarus Private E-2

I always thought the expansion base powered the laptop as well, but at the moment that does not seem to be happening. The laptop is not recognizing power from the expansion base -or from the direct ac adapter. It's like the laptop has lost ability to recognize when it is plugged in -either way.

7. lcsmith39

Hmmm. Sounds like it's gone from bad to worse. I really don't believe that there is a whole lot that you can do on your end. The only thing I can suggest would be to take it to a qualified hp service center or if you happen to know a good tech that is good with laptops.

8. jlazarus

jlazarus Private E-2

Update:

I finally had a lengthy discussion with HP about this problem. Apparently, it's a problem with the SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply).

Frustrating, of course, due to cost. HP will replace the motherboard for $400.

The laptop works BEAUTIFULLY! Just won't recognize AC power. Recognizes Battery power fine. SO I have to charge the battery in another laptop, then plug into mine, run for a couple hours, turn off, repeat the process.

Blah.

Interestingly, there is a battery recall on my battery due to overheating problems. I can't help be wonder if the battery somehow CAUSED the SMPS problem.

The laptop is only 1 year, 4 months. Out of warranty of course, but still 'new' to me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds