Earthlink

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gal1998, Jul 28, 2005.

1. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

As some of you know, I am out in the country with the slowest connection around. Dial-up that only connects at 28.8

I have been checking into anything else. The only thing I found was Earthlink high speed dial up.
    I am just wondering if anyone knows if this would be faster, therefore worth the extra cost? or is it just a dial-up which I already have.

Gal

2. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

The slow speed of your dialup may well be due to your phone lines, in which case it won't matter what service you use, it'll be slow. At my house, I get 28.8 on a good day, but using the same laptop and the same dialup number in a different location I get 46.6.

High-speed dialup is still dialup, but it doesn't load the pictures and cuts a few other corners so it loads faster. IMO, it's not worth the extra $$.

3. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

My Mom and Dad live out in the country as well, and that’s the best speed I could get her computer to do…28…….telephone line’s are to long, and transformers to far apart…….the only upgrade she did, was to have a extra phone line installed…….if you have the money, then try the satellite method……wobbles

4. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Thanks to both of you.
    That's about what I expected to hear.

Guess I'll just grin and bear it till the dig DSL thru here.

Thanks again.
    Gal

5. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

You might be able to get cable (which is what I ended up doing, since I'm not only too far to get decent dialup speed, but I'm WAY too far to get DSL).

6. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

just saw a new Netzero commercial for yet another form of high speed dialup they are offering... kinda annoying if you ask me... how many different types of dial up packages can they market to you? and if they really found a way to improve the speed, why aren't they just offering that to all their dial up subscribers...

7. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

when we didn't have the money to pay the bill, I used netz for awhile, and I understand why it happenens, but they load all the adds first, every time I tried to load a new page, netz would load new adds, dialup plus, loading of the adds..........I timed it, having nothing better to do......in ten mins of waiting, the adds took eight min, and I got to surf the other two, and every 35 min it would crash, I would have to start over.........thankfully we have the money for dsl, and I don't have to wait..........wobbles

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

pegg gave me the lead on a $5.95 Internet provider. I dialed in at 28.8, and upgraded my modem from New Egg for about $15. Now I dial in at 46. Not as good as cable, but with firefox, I still can have 3 tabs open at a time, I open one and go back and read the others. I open 5 or 6 stories from Drudge or the news portals and bounce back and forth.

I am still bummed they charge for the funnies now!!! :mad:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds