Cloning Windows 7 Drive: Drive lock issue Driveimage XML

Discussion in 'Software' started by zapp, Apr 14, 2010.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Simply trying to clone a small Windows 7 Drive onto a much bigger new drive.
    I have the new drive setup properly - all looks good, but when I get to the last step using Driveimage XML, it gives an error "Could not lock destination Disk1#1 (F:)"

anyone seen this before? way to do it right?

z

2. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

now finding some info - looks like i should use the builtin facility in Win7 to do it... what a concept

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Couple of options for you,could use the Free EASEUS ToDO to Image your smaller drive and the download is HERE (just need to create the bootup disk so that you can boot to the CD and start the ToDo software then aim it to the image file of the smaller drives image and restore to larger drive). Info and guides under the title Resource is yellow box at bottom HERE

or yes you could use the Imaging option in Microsoft Windows 7's backup section, I have used it in the past and it does work fine, just remember to create the bootup CD, and then as above boot to it to restore the image file. Good guide HERE

4. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I got it done.
    Now stuck with an Activation issue :cry, and Microsoft's automated facilities for dealing with Activation have crashed :p
    So its hard to tell whether I really have a problem, or THEY have a problem that is creating backwater issues on the known world :-D
    I have an automated-install license key, and apparently to 'activate', my clone has builtin to the registry or somewhere the location of the robot it originally got its activation from. it can't find it, since the system ain't where it was originated.

had to result to live aid... still on hold

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Thats a few times of late the Activation server has gone down! yeah looks like you'll be on hold for a bit.

6. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

i'm on my 4th human now [can't count the robots]. he's stumped. had him on this for well over 30 minutes. doesn't know why its doing what its doing.... the real License Key checks out [its a volume license type] and it "should" activate, but won't. and the OS itself is a little diff.... it doesn't display in the "activation applet" the "telephone" wizard thingy... which has him baffled also.
    what a waste of time.

he sorta says "geez... we wish you had just done a clean install" :-D

7. Corinthiano

Corinthiano Private E-2

Zapp the answer is simple delete the partition on the destination drive, and recreate the Partition also make Active Partition, but don't format, and hit copy drive to drive also leave the drive xml open when you doing the operation.

I hope solves the problem for you did solved for me!

Corinthiano :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds