Can not access boot menu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kinger, Dec 9, 2011.

1. kinger

kinger Private E-2

i have an advent 4489 notebook and when it starts i have black screen windows boot manager saying windows failed to start hardware or software change might be problem,asking me to insert installation disk,choose language,click repair etc.FILE:\BOOT\BCD status:0x0000034 info:an error occurred attempting to read boot cnfig data. But i cant insert disk it has no cd drive,yes i know i can put it on bootable usb, but my problem is when i try to run boot menu F11 or setup DELE i have a password screen that appears and you guessed it i dont know it.Ive tried taking batt off motherboard and that dont work even after 3 days! Ive tried looking for jump pins but i dont think there is any cos it be a notebook.Without enering boot menu to change boot sequence i cant do nothing,apart from getting my hammer!HELP. KINGER.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. kinger

kinger Private E-2

Thanks tgell for quick response,and no it gives me 3 tries then asks me to restart by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del.As for what bios im trying to get that info but no luck yet.Thanks again,KINGER.

4. tgell

From what I have been able to find the Advant 4489 is a rebadged MSI Wind U90. According to one page, the BIOS is AMI. Try these passwords.

AMI BIOS Backdoor Passwords:

A.M.I.
    AAAMMMII
    AMI
    AMI?SW
    AMI_SW
    BIOS
    CONDO
    HEWITT RAND
    LKWPETER
    MI
    Oder
    PASSWORD

5. kinger

kinger Private E-2

Thanks again mate for such quick answers quicker than anywhere else! and yes i did find that out on friday that it was MSI WIND so i posted same question on MSI SUPPORT but topic got locked http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=11.0 guess they know diddly s**t.Thanks again will try those passwords,and keep you posted.KINGER.

6. kinger

kinger Private E-2

..................none of those passwords worked but what id did notice is that it only registers letters and numbers and not prefixes and the box is only big enough for 6 digits or numbers whether or not that matters i dont know but will obviously type any password given reguardless of length.KINGER.

7. tgell

Because inputting a password does not throw a code after 3 attempts, I am not sure what can be done. Some netbooks can be reset by shorting out a couple of points on the motherboard but I do not know where they are on your motherboard. They may be labeled near the battery. Also, you could try to reflash the BIOS but that may brick the computer.

The UBCD has a number of BIOS password utilities. It has the password utility CmosPwd. It can find or clear passwords. DO NOT kill the password on a laptop or it will probably brick the computer. The password might be on a EEPROM.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

According to the manual of the U90, the BIOS password is stored in CMOS memory so I do not know why removing the battery did not help. When the CMOS battery was removed, you also removed the main battery, correct? If not, remove both batteries and push the power button for about 30 seconds to drain the capacitors.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds