Dropped laptop, now it won't boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikej62, May 13, 2012.

1. mikej62

mikej62 Private E-2

Today, I dropped my laptop and the laptop won't boot up now. Recently my desktop stopped booting up so I created a boot disk to fix it, but the boot disk I used for my laptop won't work. I get to the windows setup screen and then after it loads up all the files, I get a blue screen of death error. So I can't even do recovery because I get a BSOD before then.

This is what the laptops says when its loading up (without a boot disk):

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet controller v.2.0.1.9(12/15/09)
    Check Cable Connection
    PXE-MOF: exiting Intel PXE Rom
    No bootable device- insert boot disk and press any key

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have you removed the cover and ensured that the hard drive was fully seated?

3. mikej62

mikej62 Private E-2

I just realized that the boot disk I used was actually a XP bootdisk. The laptop is a windows 7 laptop. Do you know where I can find a Windows 7 boot disk?

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

That error message is saying the laptop is not recognizing your HD. It could be damage to the HD or it could be a loose connection. Open the HD cover on the back of the notebook and make sure the HD is securely seated as Harlow suggested to rule out the loose connection.

Last edited: May 14, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds