Logitech Rumblepad 2 USB device not recognized

Discussion in 'Software' started by karlyb, Sep 4, 2013.

1. karlyb

karlyb Private E-2

Hi,

I'm having big trouble in trying to install Logitech Rumblepad 2 to my computer. As soon as I connect the USB receiver Windows tells me that "USB device not recognized" and fails installing drivers. In Device Manager it says that the device has stopped working (Code 43).

I've read through this thread:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80968&highlight=rumblepad

I've done the uninstall/reboot/re-install/reboot/connect without help. I've also used CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller. Lastly I deleted the relevant USB registry keys that were showing "USB unknown device".

Please help, I'm getting desperate!

K

2. karlyb

karlyb Private E-2

And I'm using Windows 7 32-bit SP1.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

4. karlyb

karlyb Private E-2

Hi,

I've done that but it doesn't help since the USB receiver isn't recognized by the Windows. As soon as I connect the USB receiver it says in the notification area "USB device not recognized". So in the Logitech Gaming Software installation procedure the Rumblepad won't appear since the USB receiver is not working.

I think it's a USB related problem since the notification appears immediately after connecting the receiver.

The rumblepad and the receiver work just fine on other computers, tested that too...

Thanks for the welcome!

5. Rikky

Sorry for the late response Karly I've been busy.

Are your other USB devices working?

Go to control panel-device manager and look for any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses, right click/properties of the devices and post what you find, do this without the pad connected.

Then connect the pad, if you didn't have any yellow exclamation marks or crosses you should now so right click/properties again and post what you find.

Download and run this, create a report of your hardware and save it somewhere you can find it, open in notepad and delete any info such as your computer name if you choose and attach with your next post.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hwinfo32.html

6. karlyb

karlyb Private E-2

Hi,

without the receiver there are no exclamation or other marks in the device manager. However connecting to the internet seems to be sometimes a problem, windows tells me that the ethernet cable is not connected. After rebooting the problem usually goes away. I don't know if that's related to the Rumblepad problem.

However, after connecting the USB receiver the Device Manager shows a yellow exclamation in Unknown device under the tab Universal Serial Bus Connectors. Device status is as follows "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

Created log, see attachment.

K

Attached Files:

7. Rikky

I can see in your log the device failed enumeration, this will be reported as code 43 which basically means the device can't be identified by windows so no driver can be installed as you've probably guessed,if the pad wasn't connected when you ran that scan let us know as it could be a motherboard component that can't be identified.

Also your computer is pre built by Acer and has a proprietary motherboard so there are no driver updates/options other than what's on the page and since the computer is roughly 5 years old and shipped with vista so there are no drivers for windows 7 for that motherboard which can cause problems.

Also the release date on the rumblepad 2 is 2005, I don't know but if your pad is of similar age butyou may be wise to buy a new one and save the hassle.

Try this in device manager right click the pad-properties-driver and update the driver software, I'm sure you've probably done this though.

Do you have a powered USB hub you could try?

8. karlyb

karlyb Private E-2

Hi,

unfortunately I don't have a powered USB hub. And the Rumblepad works fine on my other computer, which is strange.

I've tried to update the driver software but the Windows claims that I have the latest driver installed.

K

9. karlyb

karlyb Private E-2

Could it be possible that the Logitech Gaming Software 5.10 is the source of the problem? Perhaps it'll work with an older Gaming Software.

K

10. Rikky

I can't find any Rumblepad drivers post windows xp, it could be using a generic windows control pad driver that isn't working.

If you have your windows disk handy try doing a startup repair windows installation, some of your personal settings maybe lost but your files should be fine, boot from your windows disk and navigate to startup repair and let it automatically fix damaged files.

If that doesn't work try this, it will disable automatic driver installation.

http://www.addictivetips.com/window...tomatic-driver-installation-in-windows-vista/

Now uninstall the rumblepad via device manager, it should now have no driver code 28, now click update driver and let windows automatically look for the best driver on the internet see what it finds.

11. karlyb

karlyb Private E-2

Hi again,

ok, so I followed your instructions and truly showed Windows who's in control. Unfortunately it seems that person is not me...

After code 28 I did the update driver and I got the following:

------

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

[pic of a USB cord] Unknown Device

The installation of this device is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator.

------

K

12. Rikky

Type command in the windows search box, right click the command prompt and run as administrator.

In the command prompt window type-

net user administrator /active:yes

Now log out of your windows account and log into the administrator account.

Run the driver update again.

After you've tried it disable the administrator account by repeating first steps but typing-

net user administrator /active:no

13. karlyb

karlyb Private E-2

Well it seems that didn't help. It keeps on repeating the same message about system policy although I logged on to the "administrator" account. My usual account is also an admin account...

K

14. Rikky

I'm not sure what else to try, forcing windows to see a device it cannot due to a generic error doesn't give me much to go on or try and the usual culprits have been ruled out.

Dare I say it, format and reinstall windows? Since the computer was only designed for Vista and no driver updates have been published I would rollback to vista if you must have that pad working.

Sorry, I don't like being beaten.:(

EDIT Something else to try, on the computer you've had it working on right click the control pad in device manager and enter properties, on the driver tab click driver details and write down the driver location, navigate to it and copy the file to a thumb drive.

This is the driver for the pad so have a go installing the driver or placing the driver file in the same folder but on your computer.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  15. karlyb

karlyb Private E-2

Hi,

thanks for the advice again. I copied the mentioned files to a usb drive and tried to install them to the flawed computer. The problem was that the computer didn't manage to install the necessary driver for the USB drive either!!! So it seems that there's something seriously messed up in the USB and Windows and whatnot so I decided to finally show who's the boss and install windows again.

Now I'm in the process of installing WIN7 X64, let's see if that helps. If not, then it's off to WIN XP. I don't like Vista so I'm going to skip that.

Thanks a lot for your help! It might be that the file exchange might have worked but since I didn't even get the USB thumb drive to work I just got enough.

K

16. karlyb

karlyb Private E-2

Ok,

so I installed WIN7 again, that didn't help. Then I installed Windows Vista, that didn't help either, which was strange. So I installed WIN7 again and ordered a new gamepad (Gioteck) from an online store. :)

I also contacted Logitech Customer Support. They informed me that the product is not working (surpriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise!) and I need a warranty exchange. Well, the product is like 10 years old, so I don't think I'll get a new pad from anywhere... :)

Well, tried at least.

So long.

K

17. Rikky

Good luck Karly:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds