What's to Love about Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Software' started by AtlBo, Jul 15, 2015.

1. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Installed 10 on a PC here at home. Used a straight installation from disk as the live installation kept failing. Well, I used 10 for a few hours and was unimpressed with the interface and performance. The wallpaper was nice :) but I grabbed it off the net already and am using it now.

Any features that really get anyone? I have 10 imaged, but I have returned to 7, which I think I can safely say is better for me. 10 just appears to have all the same difficulties under the surface as 7 (especially net security), only with a little bit simpler structure...(too simple? :-orolleyes:confused)

Oh yeah. Shortly after this I tried the Windows 10 Skin Pack for Windows 7. I would NOT recommend this to anyone as it installs 3 or 4 programs, and there are 4 or 5 others that install because of the installer if one isn't careful enough (Hello :-o). Man, I loved the 10 theme and part of the package was Start Menu Reviver, which I have on another PC and really like ALOT. Those two together were really great, so I will say that about the 10 concept...

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

• Better performance than 7
    • Better SSD support than 7
    • Continuum
    • Support for higher resolutions with high-res resources and proper scaling
    • DX12
    • Cortana
    • Mutltiple desktops
    • Enhanced desktop notifications/action center
    • Improved cmd and powershell
    • Universal app support
    • Microsoft Edge
    • MSA integration which can use 2-step authentication
    • Windowed Modern apps
    • Multiple sign-in methods

If you were looking for a major desktop overhaul, you are looking in the wrong place. Windows 10 is a continuation and refinement of 8/8.1. If you didn't see a need to upgrade to those, you won't see it in 10 either.

It is inherently more secure than Windows 7, but probably not 8/8.1 unless used in an enterprise setting.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I cannot add more that Adryn has posted above but I will say from using the early betas of Win 10 to the now TH1 version which is likely RTM as we will know it as Windows will now be Windows as a Service, so basically there will be no 11, 12, 13 as we know it as Windows will be rolled up on the fly.

Edge is good and really quick
    Crash protection is better than 8, but 8 was superb anyways
    CMD and Powershell are awsome....... I use powershell a fair but now
    Modern Apps are much improved
    Cortana, kicks Siri's assssss
    SSD Support is great, even on older pcs when you use a SSD, I gave my mom a 7yr old ACER laptop added a SSD and installed the beta Win 10, now TH1 and she has no issues, it boots in seconds and runs well on a C2D Intel with 4GB Ram

I have t say Windows 10 is what we all thought Windows 8 would be, but anti-trust and alike curbed alot of the gumph out of MSFT, but they are back with a winner, also Office 2016 is really good so far in the beta, soon to also be final.

Cannot wait to use Windows Mobile 10, not beta'd my Nokia 920 phone with this TBH, if had a spare I would.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

I just love powershell, still a newb with it, but I find it great that with windows 10 powershell brings in what linux has had for quite some time. The ability to to install packages via one-get, similar to chocaltely, but built in. One-get. awesome.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I don't know if you noticed, but there is now a persistent command buffer. Even after closing and reopening, tapping the up arrow brings in your history of commands.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Wow, nice that they add those command to the clipboard! I'll have to test that out another day.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its not clipboard, though it may be for that session. It survives through reboot! I cannot tell you how long I have waited for this feature.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Must be a log somewhere then, if it survives in a reboot. Awesome feature, since there has been times that I forgot to write down certain items, since I had to quickly shutdown my work laptop for various reasons.

I now really look forward to the 29th. Funny that most sites that talk about features of windows 10 don't mention this. Then again, this is mostly for sysadmins I guess.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I think it was snuck in with 10240. Unless the update deleted prior history.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'm still searching for where it keeps this info.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I started a thread on Powershell, seeing how you and I have similar interests :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds