computer brands ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by may2014, Jul 27, 2015.

1. may2014

may2014 Private E-2

are acer and asus computers any good? one of them has 4gb of ram and a 500mb harddrive, and it a slim desktop.

2. Booboo58

Booboo58 Private E-2

Without model#'s we can't even begin to advise you.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I buy computer brands that others say are junk. I only had a problem with two computers (14 owned so far) an HP and a Systemax which was/is Tiger Direct brand.

Currently of the 8 computers and one tablet running in our home, two are Acers and two are ASUSes. I don't have a problem with any but then before I buy, I generally read reviews of the exact model to see if it is decent. Some models are better than others.

What OS is the 4GB running? That makes a huge difference.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You have to understand that computer makers simply assemble parts from OEM component makers. For example, Acer, Dell and HP don't make their own motherboards, drives, CPUs, or RAM. They buy them from OEM makers and assemble them in their own computers.

As a matter of fact, OEM ASUS motherboards are commonly used by those big computer makers. And they use Intel or AMD processors, Seagate or Western Digital drives, and the RAM may come from any number of sources. The ATX Form Factor industry standard is what makes all these components from different sources compatible. And that is a very good thing for us consumers.

So as BooBoo states, we need specific models before we can even begin to offer any advice.

We also need to know your budget and the primary purpose of the computer.

5. may2014

may2014 Private E-2

I don't remember the model number ,but it was in walmart and it has windows 8.1 ,and $298 . I was just curious about the brand, but i'm most likely going to wait and get a hp or dell desktop. although at first i wanted to change up and get a laptop, but i have a uverse modem that needs to be connected to the phone line so i'm sticking with getting a desktop .

6. Digerati

I don't see why having a uverse modem requires a PC.

As far as the $298 computer from Walmart, understand when you buy a super cheap computer, you get a super cheap computer. That is not to say it won't work, but it won't have stellar performance and most likely will little upgrade options either.

7. may2014

may2014 Private E-2

Digerati,
    As far as the $298 computer from Walmart, understand when you buy a super cheap computer, you get a super cheap computer. That is not to say it won't work, but it won't have stellar performance and most likely will little upgrade options either.

That what i was thinking .

8. Digerati

Just to clarify, I am not saying to totally avoid those budget systems. I am just saying if your budget allows, go for something better.

But if it comes down to keeping an old, insecure XP system or buying a $298 special from Wal-mart, get the $298 special that comes with Windows 8.x so you are not a threat to the rest of us.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm on a super cheap eMachines computer purchased from Walmart in October 2009. I upgraded it from XP to Windows 7 (32 bit). I also installed 2 more GB of RAM before I upgraded. It works well for my simple needs. I say that because depending on what you intend to do on a computer, it might be a poor match for you.

I just looked it up and it was a $298 computer that came with a 20" monitor.

I also bought super cheap Packard Bell computers from Walmart in 1995 and 1997. The older one, I cleaned up and donated to a US Indian reservation in working condition. The one from 1997, I could find no one to donate it to so I e-cycled it.

My track record with cheap Walmart computers has been good. If I saw something there that I wanted, I would buy it.

So when you ask for advice rather than mentioning just a brand and price, please post what you intend to do on the computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds