strange internet connection issue..help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by curtis_the_n00b, Jul 19, 2004.

1. curtis_the_n00b

curtis_the_n00b Private E-2

hey guys, first time poster here...

recently, i've been having trouble connecting to webpages...i've tried IE/Firefox/Opera, and have had the same problem with all 3

i find myself browsing the internet, then all of a sudden, i will not be able to navigate to websites. I have tried pinging some websites like www.google.com in the command prompt, but cannot ping them. If I type in their IP address into the command prompt, i am able to ping them. Alternately, if i type in the IP address in the IE address bar, I am able to navigate to the website.

In the meantime, these programs will work when my browser will not: AIM, Soulseek, downloading a .torrent, etc. PartyPoker gives me a connection problem sometimes, the others do not

In order to correct this problem, i reformatted my HD, installed WinXP, reset all the settings on my router to 'factory', and plugged my network cable directly into the modem & called the Time Warner help desk...they couldn't really help me out.

It sure sounds like a DNS issue to me, but no one else on my in-home network or in my surrounding area is experiencing this problem...

i'm using Sygate Firewall, but it doesn't seem to affect my situation, since the problems were occurring before i installed it...

i'd appreciate any advice that you can give me...the best i've heard so far is 'buy a new computer'

if i can clarify anything, i would be happy to, since it would certainly help my current Internet browsing situation

2. traumawarden

traumawarden Private E-2

It most definitely sounds as a DNS issue. Are you using a static address behind your router or are you using DHCP? It may be that you are getting dropped from your router.

Hope that helps.

3. curtis_the_n00b

i'm using DHCP...and i don't think it's me getting dropped from the router, because i manage to keep a connection to AIM etc.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The next time this happens, do a traceroute to yahoo.com

>tracert yahoo.com

Do it by IP address as well.

This will tell you if its a dns problem.

Post the results here so we can see as well.

5. curtis_the_n00b

i was finally able to update my Spybot: S & D software, and it found some DSO exploits in IE...i removed em, and everything's going smoothly so far...hopefully that fixed it

6. Integer

Integer Private E-2

Im pretty sure Ive seen those DSO eploits after a fresh install of windows xp on a friends computer. I think its a windows problem which is not a large enough issue to have made it to a rollup the next system I setup I will check to see but I am fairly sure that I have seen what U are talking about in many systems and I dont believe spybot SD can completlly fix this problem if U run Spybot SD after a reboot Im pretty sure the same DSO exploits will be found. So my advice would to do as Adrynalyne suggests since it is most likly that the problem will persist.

7. Integer

Integer Private E-2

Now that I think about it those systems which I speack of I didnt use a slipstreamed cd so I could be wrong.

8. curtis_the_n00b

i haven't seemed to have any troubles after removing those DSO files...they were modifying some setting in IE...i didn't even bother to look to see what it was, i just deleted em...gave me some Alexa registry change as well

anway, all is good on my end for the moment, i can't believe that all i had to do was just run an up to date version of Spybot...thanks for all the help, though...i'm sure all the tips will come in useful

9. curtis_the_n00b

i guess i spoke too soon...back to the same ol' thing

i still don't understand why i can view some pages, but can't view others...

i tried using tracert with forums.majorgeeks.com and www.majorgeeks.com

www.majorgeeks.com gave me the 'unable to resolve target system', but i was able to run it on forums.majorgeeks.com & it gave me an IP address

what exactly am i supposed to be looking for though?

dont know if this has anything to do with it, but maybe forums.majorgeeks.com worked because i had a copy in the browser's cache, but didnt have one for www.majorgeeks.com

10. curtis_the_n00b

well, i formatted my computer again...seems like the problem has once again gone away...i'm thinking i may have installed some bad software somewhere along the line...so far so good though, though we'll see

thx to all that attempted to help me through this issue

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds