Realtek audio + UAA problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by volition, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volition

volition Private E-2

Ok so I've been researching this problem for an hour or two and I haven't really been able to find anything that will help me resolve this installation issue.

The issue is: When I try to install my realtek audio driver I get this: "Install realtek hd audio driver failure". I get the same error message with different versions of the driver too.

Ok so here is my info:
    Win XP Pro Sp3, v.3264 - some slipstreamed version my dad gave me
    Asus M2N-X - which is the nForce 520 motherboard chipset, running Win xp Nforce 15.17 drivers from nvidia.com
    AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual core 4800+ (i think thats socket AM2 ?)
    ALC883 - the specific version of my onboard realtek audio

Now the version of the driver that I've been attempting to use is the latest one on the ASUS website: Realtek ALC883 Audio Driver V6.0.1.5351 for Win2000/WinXP/Winx64/

Also, since I feel it is related to that UAA thing (KB888111), I found this thread and tried to install the file as linked to by dlb here. When I tried to run that file, it gives me this: "Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update."

Which on its own is probably ok, but I actually don't think I DO have this UAA thing installed for 2 reasons:
    1. It doesn't show up in my device manager under "system services", so consequently I can't just disable it and then install drivers
    2. I had a look in my registry where Musksnipe pointed to in this post and didn't find the related reg key.

But I'm supposed to have it already right? Since I have Xp Sp3? So yeah, all I have atm in my device manager under "sound, video and game controllers" is:
    Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, Video Codecs

So neither the driver that I was given on the motherboard CD for the realtek audio, nor the latest driver off the realtek site have worked for me. Has anyone got any ideas?

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I've been doing as lot of reading on this problem, because so many people are experiencing problems with their sound lately.
    You say that you are using SP3.
    SP3 doesn't support UAA without a hotfix.

For XP SP3 UAA hotfix_download the zip file below, extract it to a folder of your choice.
    Go to Device Manager. If there is an "Unknown PCI Device" listed right-click on it and Update Driver,pointing to the folder where you extracted the zip file.

http://www.dashken.net/uploads/technology/software/XPSP3/Universal_Audio_Archit
    ecture_High_Definition_Audio_AddOn_1.0.zip

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You may need this info.

UAA HD AUDIO DEVICE SUPPORT IN WINDOWS XP SP3
    This is another MS nasty for all the deployment folks pushing XP SP3 to computers with UAA HD Audio devices. Yes SP3 will support the devices and the drivers are included however,, the patch IS NOT included! The update to KB835221, KB888111 doesn't link to the download but instructs you to call MS Support to get the patch which doesn't work on SP3.

This patch is required before any of the HD device drivers are installed
    1. On your PC change the CSDVersion registry key to XP SP2:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CSDVersion value=200
    2. Restart your PC
    3. Install KB888111xpsp2.exe http://couponmeister.com/blog/HD_Audio/kb888111xpsp2.exe
    4. Change the CSDVersion key back to XP SP3 again:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CSDVersion value=300
    5. Restart your PC, finalize configuration of your PC, sysprep and capture.
    (Not exactly sure what you must do here)

4. volition

volition Private E-2

Ok, good news first: I got it working :)

So I tried both your suggestions, not really sure if its one or a combo of the two that made it work. The actual way it worked was a little weird though, because even after I had installed both your .exes, the actual realtek installer that I downloaded didn't work (it gave the same error).

So I decided to just let windows try and find its own way, and so I let it search for its own driver, and all it did was ask me for the location of "RtkHDAud.sys" twice. That file was located INSIDE the folders of the extracted .zip file of the realtek driver. (the path to the file for anybody else reading this is: \Window\Driver\WDM\RtkHDAud.sys") So somehow the installer itself doesn't work, but the driver information does work?

Anyway, my sound is now working, so I thank you very much for your helpful and speedy responses. :D

5. estergon2004

estergon2004 Private E-2

Thank you very much my friend.

I had same problem, simply after i reinstall the WinXP with integrated Service Pack3 i couldnt install audio drivers.

and after your message, i downloaded that hotFix , and as you said i used it for thr PCI DEVICE under the unrecognized devices , and after then I saw
    Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition under the SYSTEM DEVICEs

and then i install the driver itself and THATS IT !!!! Its working

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds