improper uninstall of norton causing connection problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdido, Nov 1, 2008.

1. cdido

cdido Private E-2

I uninstalled Norton Antivirus using Add/Remove programs, after restarting, my computer freezes when trying to access internet. Internet connection icon no longer appears in lower right corner. It freezes if I try to go through Start menu to view connections. I was going to try the winfix something download I put on a disk, but computer freezes when trying to get to CD Drive. Norton doesn't appear in Task manager or CCleaner. Only the Live update and technical support. My Add/Remove programs won't populate anymore either, it freezes. I was going to go through Read Me, Run Me just in case it was something else, but I when I hit Okay after typing msconfig in Run, nothing happened. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Also, I tried running Spybot after, twice, and it freezes at the same file.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Do you have access to a flash drive?
    If so download the Norton Removal Tool to the drive, boot up the problem comp to Safe Mode (press F8 at boot up before Windows splash screen) and try the tool then. May have to run it twice.

3. cdido

cdido Private E-2

Thanks for your help.
    I saved file to flash drive, started computer, pressed F8, toggle up to Safe Mode, inserted flash drive, hit enter, computer ran through files for a few seconds then turned itself off. Computer won't power on, no lights, no sounds, nothing, as if I didn't press the power button. Did I kill it?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  4. cdido

cdido Private E-2

I unplugged it for 5 minutes and now it is powering on, I will let you know how it goes.

5. cdido

cdido Private E-2

I ran through it twice, no luck. I had installed Avast before uninstalling Norton, so I uninstalled it in Safe mode and everything seems to be working fine. For future reference, should I always remove existing anitvirus before installing new antivirus product? I had heard you should do that before installing new version of exact product, but I didn't think it would matter for differing products.:-o

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Yes, you are correct in removing first before installing 2nd.
    Realtime Antivirus programs, when running at the same time, can cause all sorts of problems with conflicts as they are trying to do the same things at the same time. Only 1 realtime AV should be running. Take a look at this guide for information on protecting yourself from malware.
    For the future, you should download a new AV installer, disconnect from internet, remove the old AV and then install the new AV. Then hook up to the internet and update as needed. A good intermediate step is to use CCleaner to clean up any left over pieces of the old AV before installing the new one.
    Glad you got it sorted.:)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  7. cdido

cdido Private E-2

Thanks for your help!!! Once again Major Geeks saves the day, and a whole lot more.:major

8. cdido

cdido Private E-2

Uh oh, when I reinstalled Avast, I chose to do scan at reboot, I followed all recommendations to put things into chest, once scan and reboot completed, my computer shows excellent wireless connection, but all sites I try to get on say "Internet Explorer cannot display web page". The computer I'm using to post this is working great. I uninstalled Avast thinking it was causing a problem, but I'm still getting the same message.:( Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Also, I use Outlook for my comcast and hotmail e-mail. I can send and receive comcast e-mail, but not hotmail.

9. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Try a couple of these steps to see if you can get to the web.
    1) Try power cycling your whole network. Shut down comps, router and modem and then bring them back up in sequence. Allow enough time for each to establish their connection before bringing up the next. Start with modem, then router then comps.
    2) Try this from the command line - START > RUN > CMD then ipconfig /flushdns
    3) Go to this MS KB article and try the following -
    Under General troubleshooting - Method 4 & 5
    Under Advanced troubleshooting - Method 1, 4, 5, & 7

10. cdido

cdido Private E-2

Performed all steps, in order. No luck.

11. cdido

cdido Private E-2

It turns out I had the Facebook e-mail virus.:-o A friend suggested I try the following:

1. Reboot in safe mode
    2. Start by going to do a normal search "Start>search"
    Then, click on "All files and folders"
    Click on "More advanced options"
    Make sure that the following three items are checked:

"Search system folders"
    "Search hidden files and folders"
    "Search subfolders"

c:\windows\fbtre9.exe
    c:\windows\fmark2.dat
    c:\windows\system32\690974
    c:\windows\fbtre9.exe
    ALCMTR.exe

(You may find that you do not have all of these files on your computer. If any are misssing, that is fine).

3. Delete these files as you find them.
    4. Go into your recycle bin, and delete them again from there.
    5. Re-search for the files (You should not be able to find them, if you do, re-delete them)
    6. Re-boot in normal operating mode
    7. Re-search for the files (Again, they should not be there)
    8. If you find the files, restart from step 1. If the files are not there, your computer should be fine.

*NOTE* I'm duing all this on Windows XP. If you are running a different version of windows, everything should still work out the same, let me know if it doesn't.

*FOR MAC USERS* By the nature of this virus, you should not be infected. Your computer shouldn't have windows operating systems. If you somehow are infected, I'm afriad I have no clue how to help.

You may have to change your proxy settings in firefox/IE after removing it - the proxy settings will still be set to ues the little tinyproxy and after it's gone will not be able to connect until you reset them.

In Firefox: Tools Menu -> Options... -> Advanced Tab -> Network Tab -> "Settings" button under Connection.

In IE7: Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab -> "Lan Settings" button -> Uncheck "use a proxy server"

In IE6: Same as IE7.

I found the "c:\windows\fmark2.dat" file and deleted it. Sorry for all the hassle. I really appreciate your help!!!! :drool

Should I do Read Me, Run Me to make sure I am clean?

12. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I believe I would to be on the safe side. Run the scans, post the logs and get the All Clear from the Malware experts.
    (I was wondering if I was going to have to call for some help. I didn't have too many more suggestions. ;))

13. cdido

cdido Private E-2

Will do, thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds