Please Help - No Idea What To Do

Discussion in 'Software' started by ashleyriott, May 3, 2008.

1. ashleyriott

ashleyriott Private E-2

Okay, so the problems started about two days ago. First and formost, I don't know if it's a software issue, so I apologize if I stuck this thing in the wrong spot. I've read about a hundred pages on this site trying to fix these issues by myself and nothing is working. =/

My computer wont start in normal mode. I can start it in safemode now, even with Network connections. I have managed to access the internet once, and I downloaded hijack, AVG, and Dr. Hardware before I lost the ability to connect again.

I have a reformat disk, and have managed to extract / backup my data after hours of tedious work. However, the disk wont boot, I can't access my BIOS settings from start-up (just goes black screen) If I manage to restart and load correctly after workin in safe mode all other boot options (Debugging, VGA mode, ect) show up, but when I select I just get a black screen.

Ran adaware, and VGA, a few things came up but nothing that seemed to me to be particularly devestating (although I have been humbled as to how much I actually know about these darn machines over the past two days) I have cleaned my cache files (via cleancache 3.0) I think my drivers are out of wack, but I can't update them easily without the internet.

ACK. any help would be so fantastic, I take all of my classes online and not having a computer during finals is a pretty bad situation.

I am accessing the forums via my work laptop, without admin privledges. So keep in mind I can not network with the busted pc, nor can I download freely on this machine.

Who likes a challenge?

Also; msconfig will not run. nor will system recovery, and I am also getting a number of error messages periodically - seemingly for no reason (as in they do not occur systematically as a result of me opening things/working)

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I am assuming that you have either XP or Vista.
    I am also assuming that by "reformat disk" you mean an operating system install disk (XP or Vista)
    If your computer is set to boot first from the CD, boot your computer from the disk and allow it to reinstall Windows.
    Then follow the steps on this link:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

If your computer is not set up to boot from the CD, you will have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS

3. ashleyriott

ashleyriott Private E-2

Gosh, yeah I'm sorry hahah it's been a bad two days. I do have XP, and yes I have an operating system install disk.

I have tried to boot from the disk and it wont, I have tried with the XP disk as well as an linux boot up version of kloopix (if I spelled that wrong, I apologize, I'm sure you know what I'm referring to)

Neither option works for me.

When I try and get into BIOS to update my boot options (pressing F2 like I'm trying to pull off a ten hit combo) nothing happens, just black.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What brand/model computer? Maybe F2 is not the key to enter BIOS. Try Delete or (F10 if HP/Compaq).

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, if Knoppix doesn't boot and you can't get into your BIOS, then only thing that I can think of is to reset the BIOS, you'll have to check your motherboard manual on how to do it. Have a pair of tweezers handy and don't forget to unplug your machine first.

6. ashleyriott

ashleyriott Private E-2

it's an Emachine, I'm pretty sure it's F2 after researching it. I tried delete as well. Would a log from hijack help figure out what the problem is exactly? Could it be my coms or kernels?

Just tried F10, black screen as well.

7. ashleyriott

ashleyriott Private E-2

Originally Posted by AugieDoggie
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, if Knoppix doesn't boot and you can't get into your BIOS, then only thing that I can think of is to reset the BIOS, you'll have to check your motherboard manual on how to do it. Have a pair of tweezers handy and don't forget to unplug your machine first.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shoot, I was thinking I would have to do that. If I reset the CMOS battery, that will restore bios settings right?

8. ashleyriott

ashleyriott Private E-2

Hijackthislog attached... I've actually never used this program before, so I'm pretty ignorant about it, but if anyone wants to take a look be my guest. =)

Attached Files:

9. sach2

Taking out the battery for a minute or two should set BIOS to defaults. Does ESC key do anything as far as BIOS? Do you see any screen related to Bios?

Just so you know if you can start Windows in Safe Mode your Bios is working.

10. ashleyriott

ashleyriott Private E-2

here is what happens at each choice

Start up screen (looks like;) -
    Emachines Logo
    (located in the bottom right is this legend)
    BOOT Menu: <F10>
    BIOS Settings: <F2>

so at this point if I do nothing... Goes to a screen that says "Press F11 to start System Recovery"
    If I hit F11 it says "Prepareing System Recovery..."
    then that bar fills up, and it says "Please wait" for what I can see is an eternity (I gave it about 2 hours)

If I do not push F11 for System Recovery, it pulls up the "sorry for the inconvience please start in safe mode" screen
    ---
    At start up Emachine Logo screen... if I push F2, it goes immediately to the log into safe mode screen.
    ---
    If I push F10 at Emachines logo screen it pulls up the "Hit F11 for System Recovery" then back to the loop mentioned above (same as doing nothing)
    ---
    If I push delete, back to the F11 for system recovery. same as doing nothing.
    ---
    If I push ESC, back to the F11 for system recovery. same as doing nothing.

11. sach2

I'm guessing you get the same results when you have the XP disc in the CD drive.

Pulling the battery for a minute or two can't hurt. It might let you boot or fix the non-responsive F2. Until we can figure out why you cant check/change the boot order we've got a problem.

12. ashleyriott

ashleyriott Private E-2

okay I pulled out the battery, replaced.

booted
    now I have this screen -
    CMOS Checksum Bad
    CMOS Date/Time Not Set
    Press F1 to run Setup
    Press F2 to load default values and continue

I'm not pushing anything till you tell me what to do

13. sach2

I'd go with F1 to enter setup. If you get in then look for boot order. You want to set it to CD 1st then Hard Drive.

14. ashleyriott

ashleyriott Private E-2

!!
    I have my CMOS Setup Utility!

alright, lets see if this works.

15. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You may have to replace the battery if that doesn't work, they're cheap enough.

16. ashleyriott

ashleyriott Private E-2

Okay I think I am about to give up.

went into windows, system recovery still wouldn't load. installed the recovery console, bootup, selected "Start Windows Setip" now I'm getting this error; File not found minint\system32\biosinfo.inf
    error code 14

I can either boot from the Recovery set up and it not work, or select windows which also doesnt work. I just want to destroy the stupid thing and start over.

17. sach2

This is where you want help from someone besides me. I don't ever do XP repairs and am not sure of the best way to proceed. The link Joelsz gave you at the beginning of this thread would do a complete reinstall. It would reformat(erase all data presently on disk) and install a fresh copy of Windows. If you use this you should make sure you really have all your personal/school data backed up somewhere safe where you can copy it back later.

There are repair options available that I don't have the steps down pat in my mind.
    Recovery Console is one. There is a repair option from the XP disc. And there is a third repair option that comes up during the installation process. Like I said I don't know the proper steps.

I hope someone will answer this thread. One thing that you could help with is a clarification of exactly what CD discs you have. How exactly are they labeled. It could be important on determining if you really have a full XP installation disc.

18. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

One other thing you might try, it's a long-shot but give it a try. ;)

I noticed in the HJT log you have StyleXP installed now or at one time. If you are using a "modified theme" go into safe mode and change your theme to Windows Classic or Windows XP, shutdown and restart.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds