Here is something odd

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Jun 9, 2012.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Today I needed to look up a location and typed mapquest.com as I always do and the screen came up white. There is nothing there at all. There is a tab which says that I am at MapQuest and the bar at the bottom left states that there are items being transferred but it simply comes up a blank, white page.

I thought that maybe the site was down so I tried it on my wife's computer and VOILA! there it was.

I have adblock plus on my computer and I turned it off to see if that was the problem. Nope.

I have never encountered this before. Anyone else?

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

When I type the same, it redirects me to http://www.mapquest.com/ and it opens fine.

I suggest that you clear your browser cache and try again.

3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Clicked your link and that did not work. Cleared the cache, restarted the computer, went into Firefox, typed the url, no luck. Tried your link again. No luck.

I have never experienced this before and it seems to be only url that won't load. Everything else works perfectly.

Edit: Ah ha!. Went into IE and the page loads. (Actually "Ah ha!" is a bit overblown as I still have the same problem.)

4. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I hate the ten minute edit rule.

I got on mapquest on IE and asked for directions from Longmont to the Denver Zoo. It showed a route from Superior (which is eight miles SW of Longmont) all the way across the North of Denver and South down the East side of the city and drops me in Lone Tree (which is 10 miles South of Denver.)

Methinks that mapquest is broken.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I fired up FF and got a white page. It said I have to have javascript enabled. (I run noscript so javascript is disabled for almost all sites). I did that and got a white page. I then looked at my noscript settings and enabled mqcdn.com then the page to loaded properly. Since I only use IE for windows updates, I don't know what I'd need to enable to get it to work properly.

6. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I checked and JavaScript is enabled and I have the most recent version of Java. Still getting the white screen.

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Still works fine for me using Firefox 13.

But if you are just looking for directions, try http://maps.google.com/

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

10. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Googlemaps works perfectly but I hate supporting them with my clicks.

11. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

PROBLEM SOLVED

I spoke to Mapquest directly and they had me reset Firefox to the original settings. I had to export my bookmarks prior to doing this. He then led me through the process and Mapquest now loads perfectly.

Still don't know why this happened. <shrug>

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds