Compaq Presario 6000 (P4 desktop PC)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Khriez, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Khriez

Khriez Private E-2

I'm new here. Hello people.. :)

Well I heard it's hard to identify compaq's motherboards. Is there any way to identify it other than copying down the code at boot up like opening the computer case? I also tried entering BIOS but only info I found was 'Phoenix' which is probably the manufacturer.

Reason is I want to buy a GeForce 6600 GT (8x AGP). Not sure if my MOBO can support AGP 8x because I only have a Radeon 9000 which is 4x AGP. I'm assuming it can ??

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

3. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

Have you tried looking up the pc information on compaq's site? Also you are going need a more specific model number than just Compaq Presario 6000, look on the back of the pc somewhere, should list the specific model.

4. Khriez

Khriez Private E-2

I used Everest program. Crap this is the new stuff I have to buy JUST to replace my crappy video card:

-300W power supply (but that's minimum I thinking of getting 400+W).
    -A new MOBO that supports 8x AGP (mine only supports 4x)
    -A Windows XP CD because, you know how Compaq has only a system partition thingy for system recovery and doesn't come with the actual OS CD?
    -and of course the video card which I was looking forward to SO MUCH but I can't even buy it.

n00b Question: Is it possible to replace an older MOBO without a Windows XP CD?

5. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

You can replace the Mobo without reformating your HD, but it is not recomended, can lead to other issues.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds