Which version of WIN XP PRO disks to use?

Discussion in 'Software' started by BBrown, Mar 7, 2008.

1. BBrown

BBrown Private E-2

I recently picked up a used Thinkpad T30 which has on the bottom an authentic hologram COA sticker which reads, "Windows XP Pro", and gives a Serial/Key number (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx).

I have used pirated versions of XP in the past, but would now like to go legal/legit. I am not interested in yet another priated version of XP. The existence of the COA sticker was part of the incentive for me to make this purchase.

However, I have used several different CD's attempting to install a legal copy of XP. I continue to get the message "Invalid Key..."

I am typing the key in exactly, so it is not a typing problem. I also know that the keys are unique from one version to another.

How can I determine the correct version CD to use?
    Thanks in advance for your wisdom,
    Bob

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I would think that it would be Windows XP Pro OEM. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds