Connected but unable to open IE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Halestorm79, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Halestorm79

Halestorm79 Private E-2

Hello-I have a dilemma
    I have recently established a new wireless connection-the connection is successful and "excellent". I am unable to open Internet explorer-when I run the diagnostics-the message I receive is "Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer." :cry I have tried googling and fooling around with my computer for a week-My network key does my match my Linksys router. I am trying to avoid spending lots of money to fix this any suggestions?
    help please!
    :wave

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

What OS are you running? What firewall are you running? Have you gone in to the firewall settings and given IE permissions to access the internet?

Some more info on the things you have tried would be helpful so we don;t ask you to do the same thing again ;)

3. Halestorm79

Halestorm79 Private E-2

Hello and thank you for your response
    I have windows XP-I currently have symantec, Norton and I suppose the MS firewall....that is automatic right?

My brother-in-law played with it this weekend and now its to the point where I can get on https sights but not http. I went through all my processes under task manager and all appear to be legit. I also ran it in safe mode-went through all processes again, also appeared legit. THe only one I was concerned was HTTP SSL (since that appears the problem) when I googled it, it did not appear a threat. In my firewall setting internet explorer is checked off as an exception...any other suggestions? I am pretty technologically illiterate but I would think its something basic that I am overlooking since I can get on secured sights.

Thanks for you reply!

4. Halestorm79

Halestorm79 Private E-2

On a side note I also had ad aware and spybot which I was told they were probably all working against eachother-those have been removed and now my antivirus is just what I listed in my previous response.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds