Accessing temporary internet files folder with dos commands in batch files

Discussion in 'Software' started by thehn@nature.berkeley.edu, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Hi All-
    I am looking for a way to access files in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder in W2000/WXP using DOS commands in a BAT file. The files in this folder can be viewed in Windows Explorer but are hidden when I use a command prompt.

I have attempted to change the attributes using attrib -r, -a, -h, -s, path/filename /s with no success.

Does anyone have any information or examples of BAT files/DOS commands that can accomplish this.

Thanks

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you would have asked me this 4 years ago, I could have given you my script that deletes those files, no matter what user actually runs it.

You should be able to download deltree.exe (or is it .com) and then use that to deltree /y *. within that folder.

Another thing to try is use:

dir /as /b > temp.txt
    then use a FOR command to parse out the desktop.ini file.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Haven't used it myself, but this may help. Bazza

DOS Viewer for NTFS partitions.
    NTFS Reader for DOS 1.0.2. www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2036

4. Hi theefool-
    My application is to actuate Internet Explorer once per hour with the task scheduler, the home page being an IP address of a natwork attached webcam. This snaps a picture from the cam (Image.jpg) and places it in the Temporary Internet Files (TIF) folder. I first wish to copy this file to a different hard drive and then delete it from the TIF. I don't believe deltree will suit this purpose. Or will it???

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Ah, ok, now I understand. Yes there is a way to create a batch file for this purpose. One question, is the file a randomly named file? Do you know the extension?

Also, you can of course have this running every hour with that at command.

@Bigbazza: The poster needs a script to run while the computer is running within windows. When some individuals mention DOS batch files and XP, they usally mean just shell scripts within windows.

6. Thanks Bazza-

Does not help for my application. See my previous reply to "Theefool" for details. Need something that operates inside of Windows

Thanks again!!!

Haven't used it myself, but this may help. Bazza

7. The file name is Image.jpg and does not change.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

In addition, I assume the copy of this file needs a date and time stamp added to the file name?

Also, are you needing me or someone else to write this for you, or were you wondering if this was possible?

9. I have accomplished the issue of renaming the file with date and time stamps using a batch file.

I don't wish to have anyone write this batch file for me. I have several different webcams from different manufacturers so I need the versatility of modifying the batch file slightly for each cam. For those cams with FTP capability I have batch files/script files that work well. However, for the cams that do not have FTP capability I am using Internet Explorer to effectively take a snapshot and then need only move it from the TIF folder to the D drive.

I just need overcome not being able to access <C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\>

Thanks

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Not sure if this fits the bill, but I use BATCHRUN for writing batch scripts in XP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds