cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jarcher, Feb 23, 2006.

1. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

my father inlaw shutdown and unplugged his pc because of a tstorm
    and then couldnt connect after he started back up

the modem said it was connected
    the network said it was connected

but software requiring Internet access would work

ran ip config
    and nothing.
    I mean nothing

ex:
    see nothing between the two
    usually there is something
    there was no ip to ping

any way I had the isp ping it
    and they said everything was all good

but I was still lost
    did the whole unplug thing and it ended up working
    in the end

what did I miss?

now my brother inlaw is having the same problem
    and I have done everything I did there, nada
    goin nuts

any idea's?

2. bensr20det

bensr20det Private E-2

the only whay i know that an ipconfig command will come back with nothing is if your network connection is disabled. Is this winXP? if so when you go to your network connections right click on the connection you use and go to status. then click the support tab. what is here? should show you your ip address, subnet, and gateway. and i also work for a large but crappy cable isp and my number 1 call is people who do not know how to power cycle their modem and router properly. make sure you turn everything off modem and router. I find the pc can stay on if you have XP or 2000 anything else and shut that down too. then plug them modem in with for your correct light pattern and then the router. then try a ipconfig/release see what happens then a ipconfig/renew. hope this helps

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I'm not sure if you saying here that the modem amd nic were connected during the storm or not. If they were connected during the storm and took a hit from lightening, one or both may be dead.

Most computers that get hit by lightening, get it through the modem.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Are the lights on the modem even showing a link with the ISP? Is this a Cable ISP, or DSL ISP?

5. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

well. .IE was being blocked by norton
    never woulda thunk it
    I hate norton

thanks

sorry for the pointlessness of this thread

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Get rid of Norton and go with something else. I use Avast on my desktop, and AVG on my Lappy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds