Windows Hard Disk Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leadster618, Dec 20, 2006.

1. leadster618

leadster618 Private E-2

Let me explain my situation, first note that I am also sending this to the Software forum as it also concerns usage of Windows and certain programs. On a different computer I used your services to clean out malware and you helped tremendously. I hope that you can present a solution to a new problem I am having with a different computer. I am using a Dell PC, which is running Windows XP and was recently after having serious trouble with slow speed, in both loading microsoft word, etc. and america online. We are also using Norton Antivirus. Recently our dial up internet through AOL was having problems (claiming it was corrupt and needed a reinstall). We had to get a newer version of AOL and since that time our computer became very slow. In an attempt to speed things up, I ran disk cleanup on all 3 accounts in the computer, uninstalled some unused programs and then defragged the hard drive a few times (5 or 6) until it had made some noticeable changes in the distribution of the files. We turned the computer off and now when we turn the computer back on we get a notification that the hard drive S.M.A.R.T. (system?) {I can remember the word that came after SMART} was bad and need to be backed up, or replaced. Windows then prompts us to start in safe mode or normal mode...when we do either, it gets to the safe mode loading screen (with the lines of code) or the windows loading screen and the disk just "whirs". Nothing loads and no matter how long it sits it does nothing. Now I fear that something worse has happened to the system. What could I have done wrong when I defragged and cleaned up the system? I assure you I am rather computer adept and I did not remove files that were vital to the machine. I only ran disk cleanup, used the uninstall wizards to take off a few apps, and ran defragmenter (The defragmenter which comes with windows). I fear I may need to reformat the harddrive (it is an 80G hard drive) which if this is needed, I have the disks for. However, how do I do that? I cannot get into the system to even reformat! Is there a key command I should try? Please this is a matter of urgency as my family needs the computer to keep in contact with some relatives...For the time being my family is using the computer I am on now, but we hope that you can help with this problem. Again I have also sent this problem to the software thread as it seems to pertain to both fields. Thank you for your help and dedication, leadster618

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Have you tried a 'Repair' using your XP instalation disk??
    Have you tried setting it (the HD) to slave in another computer and is it accesible there. If so at least for the time being you could back-up the data you do not want to lose. Also have you been to manufacturers site and download a Diagnostic Programme. You will need to take out HD to get the exact version/serial number. Also check you power lead and if need be try another connector as i well know these can sometimes mal function.

3. leadster618

leadster618 Private E-2

No, I have not, but I'll try it. To do a "repair" do we just put the original XP installation disk into the machine when it starts? As of now there are no files on the computer that are crucial to save. But if I am to take the hard drive out to slave in another computer (does that mean run the hard drive in another computer? Or try to access the information from another cpu, for example attaching my laptop to the cpu through a usb cable and gettting the info that way?) I could go get a diagnostic programme, but the computer wont do anything but show the load screen, so how could I use it, or even get it onto the system. And I'm trying to understand the last part of your message, do you mean move the hard drive to another slot in the same cpu? Could that mean the hard drive is just not properly connected? Well its good to know I have some direction now in solving this problem. I eagerly await your reply to see how else I should proceed. Thank you for your continuing help with this problem, Brandon

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

S.M.A.R.T software is a HardDrive failure predicting software. It is saying that you HD will fail fairly soon. I don't have S.M.A.R.T installed on my computer but have a similar application from Compaq. It has warned me of HD problem twice, both times the drive completely failed within a month.

I'm suggesting if SMART says there is a problem with your HD it should be replaced. If you do run manufacturer's utility program to diagnose and completely reformat the disk and then do a fresh XP install, the disk may work for a while but you will never know for how long. From my experience it is not worth the trouble.

If you want to play with it get the manufacturer disk as Toke said. Have model number ready and go to support on their website. The utility can be burned to CD or floppy and your computer should be able to boot from it even w/o Windows working. You can try the test HD option and if no problems then you can choose to format it from that utility as well.

5. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

"S.M.A.R.T." = Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology.

Given the symptoms you have described, I'm wondering if the drive has already failed. As Toke suggests, set up the drive in another computer and see if it can be accessed. Just make sure the other computer can deal with the filesystem that's on your 80GB drive. If it has the same level of operating system (eg., Win XP), you should be able to access your drive -- if it hasn't failed.

As for the "Repair" option on your Win XP disk: boot from the Win XP CD-ROM. The "repair" function will be one of the startup options.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds