Windows Vista memory problem, system using too much memory and running very slowly

Discussion in 'Software' started by gmc01, Aug 9, 2009.

1. gmc01

gmc01 Private E-2

Hey guys, I need your help. I'm currently experiencing a problem with my laptop running Windows Vista Ultimate and having 2 Gigs of RAM. My system is running very slowly and is using TONS of memory (up to 97%) even if there are no programs running. Normally, it uses less than 50% memory. I started experiencing this problem after firefox (version 3) did an automatic update to firefox 3.X.x, i forgot the version.

After the automatic update, my system started to run very slowly,became very unresponsive, and used a lot of RAM. I thought the problem was caused by the firefox version I was using so I installed the latest version of firefox, version 3.5.2. After the Firefox update, the problem still occurs and my laptop is still using a lot of memory and running very slowly.

My system has very few programs that run on start-up and has been pretty fast since I bought it several months ago. This is first time that I experienced problems with it.

I did a virus scan and also scanned for malware but both scans didn't find anything. I then tried hijack this and came up with this log file. I hope you guys can help me fix this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Re: Windows Vista memory problem, system using too much memory and running very slowl

It may not be malware at all. Have a good look at the Processes tab in Task Manager to identify exactly which processes are using abnormal amounts of CPU time (I'm assuming you mean CPU, not memory).

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Re: Windows Vista memory problem, system using too much memory and running very slowl

btw, if I'm wrong and you do really mean memory, the Task Manager's Resource Monitor will tell you which processes are using how much RAM.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

We do not analyze Hijack This files, it is a niche application. Check your running processes as well as what programs are using the most memory. To add to DomLuc, you might be due to run disk defrag as well, fragmented and poorly optimized files can cause some slowdown as well.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Also, online analyzers have become fairly accurate, for example:

http://www.hijackthis.de/

It will tell you what each line is in MOST cases. Again, I say fairly accurate, so be sure you know what your removing :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds