IE icon has stopped responding

Discussion in 'Software' started by wodnik, May 1, 2004.

1. wodnik

wodnik Private E-2

I can't understand why, but just suddenly my IE will no longer launch (regardless of whether I click it on the desktop, systray, or startup IE icon). I just get the mouse cursor turn into an hourglass for a brief moment, and then it reverts back to the normal arrow and ...just nothing happens - nothing launches. I've been using IE for ages, so I don't understand what suddenly caused it to stop working.

I ran Ad-Aware, Panda AV etc. - nothing. I'm scratching my head :rolleyes: The only two (hopefully unrelated, but who knows?) events which I can think may have caused this is a) the very small amount of space left on my harddisk (about 350MB apparently, but all other programs work without a problem, so I don't see what makes IE different) or b)the fact that I used Spybot Search and Destroy which identified a number of missing DLL's (surely they were missing before IE stopped functioning so they should not be the cause of the problem??) and registry entries which did not seem to point to the right location (so I agreed to delete them)? Could anyone suggest what else could have gone wrong and how I can get my IE to resume working?

Your help would be VERY much appreciated guys!

2. wodnik

wodnik Private E-2

Can't find what you suggested

I'm running windows 2000 Professional. I can follow your instructions until the Add/Remove Programs bit. After that, I get 4 buttons on the left (change or remove programs, add new programs, add/remove window components, set program access and defaults). I can not find any option with Microsoft Explorer 6 per se, and certainly no option to repair. I only found Internet explorer Q828750 (which gives me the option of uninstalling q828750 and restoring previous configuration) What would you advise?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds