Memory upgrade now computer just beeps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kissme729, Jul 18, 2006.

1. kissme729

kissme729 Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 windows xp I bought PC 2700 512mb and when I add it to either slot the computer just powers on and beeps a few times, no video no nothing. Any help on this would be appreciated. All my other computers I just added the memory and turned it on. Please help.

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

How many memory slots were populated before you tried to add the 512 stick?

I don't know but the system could be a 2 bank system where both memory slots need to be populated to work.

3. kissme729

kissme729 Private E-2

I have two slots, in one slot it has PC2700 256 I added PC2700 512mb and I tried both together - in both slots and the 512 alone and it just beeps. As soon as I remove the 512 it boots up no problem.

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

sounds like a bad memory stick. beeping like u described is usually the result of bad RAM. id get it replaced

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I'd agree with VIPER_BOY403.....sounds like a bad memory stick

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Possibly not bad ram just not compatable. ed

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Go to www.crucial.com They have a program that will check your PC and recommend the correct RAM for your PC. At a rough guess, you may have purchased the wrong specification Ram. It could have been a faulty stick, but more likely it is OK, but wrong for your PC. Try crucial.com and let us know. Bazza

===

8. kissme729

kissme729 Private E-2

Here is the description of what is good for my computer from crucial

DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64
    DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 64Meg x 64

Here is what I got.

512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 2700) System Memory
    Description: This 512MB memory upgrade is designed to enhance the performance oselect industry models. It operates at 2.5V and has a 64M x 64 configuration.
    Approximately 5.25 in. by 1.25 in. (133.35 mm by 31.75 mm)
    A dual inline memory module (DIMM) consists of a number of memory components (usually black) that are attached to a printed circuit board (usually green). The gold pins on the bottom of the DIMM provide a connection between the module and a socket on a larger printed circuit board. The pins on the front and back of a DIMM are not connected to each other.

184-pin DIMMs are used to provide DDR SDRAM memory for desktop computers. Standard 184-pin DIMMs are available in PC1600 DDR SDRAM, PC2100 DDR SDRAM, PC2700 DDR SDRAM, and PC3200 SDRAM.

To use DDR memory, your system motherboard must have 184-pin DIMM slots and a DDR-enabled chipset. A DDR SDRAM DIMM will not fit into a standard SDRAM DIMM socket. (Information about which memory technology your system uses is included in the Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool.)

The number of black components on a 184-pin DIMM can vary, but it always has 92 pins on the front and 92 pins on the back, for a total of 184. 184-pin DIMMs are approximately 5.25 inches long and 1.25 inches high, though the heights can vary. While 184-pin DIMMs and 168-pin DIMMs are approximately the same size, 184-pin DIMMs have only one notch within the row of pins.

The guy I got it from says it is correct and is sending me a new chip that has been tested. If it doesnt work I will get back to you. I can tell you it fits into the computer just beeps. I will let you know.

9. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

you might want to pull out the first memory chip, and try the 512 in that slot buy itself... you never know

good luck.

10. kissme729

kissme729 Private E-2

arrgh i got the new tested memory and it doesnt work either. oh well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds