Blue screen of death after memory upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dolo20, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Dolo20

Dolo20 Private E-2

I recently upgraded my desktop from 1.5 gigs to 2 Gigs. After installing the new gig of ram, my computer has been constantly flashing to the blue screen of death. I checked the ram to make sure i properly installed into the slot. But I am still having issues. Does any one have any suggestions.
    I am running XP Windows, 3.4 GHz desktop I personally built. Max Ram allowed on the desktop is 2 gigs.

Willie

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

3. Dolo20

Dolo20 Private E-2

Thx mada_milty
    I went ahead with the first process with the debugging tool.

This is what it stated:
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
    An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
    interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
    caused by drivers using improper addresses.
    If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00000004, memory referenced
    Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
    Arg3: 00000000, bitfield :
    bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
    bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
    Arg4: 804e7ebd, address which referenced memory

I have no idea what this means.

4. jairic

jairic Private E-2

I think IRQ (interupt request queue) is what allows you the illusion of multitasking, if your new memory is too different from what you already have installed the kernel (is that what does it?) may not be able to assign memory addresses to it. My advice is that if you used a different brand of RAM from what you already had in there to just take it back out and see if the computer will run that way. Hope you can get it going again!

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Can you boot in safe mode? If so, and if it is a driver issue, boot to safe mode and reinstall your drivers.

Unless I am misreading that message, your new memory is conflicting with your drivers. Reinstalling the drivers fixes that. It's a surprisingly common problem when upgrading memory by a large amount, from 256MB to 2GB, for example.

6. Creativeballance

Creativeballance Private First Class

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
    An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
    interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
    caused by drivers using improper addresses.
    If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00000004, memory referenced
    Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
    Arg3: 00000000, bitfield :
    bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
    bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
    Arg4: 804e7ebd, address which referenced memory

...The IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL means a bad memory module.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds