What constitutes a Hidden object under Avira?

Discussion in 'Software' started by NO CLUE, Jul 13, 2010.

1. NO CLUE

NO CLUE Private E-2

It seems every couple of days when I run my Avira Anti virus scan it comes up with one or more 'Hidden objects' in the report:confused I dutifully run my virus scan before shutting my computer down for the night each day; and I update ever other day. How is whatever a 'hidden object' is, getting by the Avira software or Malwarebytes software when I'm using my computer:confused

Here's a sample scan run a bit ago....

NOTE THE 'HIDDEN OBJECT' ABOVE^

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
  2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Here's a link on Avira forums about "Hidden objects" quite a read-up :-D
    This surfaced with an upgrade to Avira 10.x.. The mods there, say these entries may well be legit and by no means malware. But they want a log posted of the scan to be certain.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?form=Search&pageNo=2&searchID=908339&highlight=hidden+object.

And a poster with with your ditto query. Check Barrie's post #4.
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=965663&highlight=hidden+object#post965663

From what ever else I got on the net, in regards to the reg string- shows to be legit and not a cause for alarm.

Cheers..

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

The first link was working!! From the search bar in the second link look up"Hidden object"
    Should get eighteen pages on the Avira forum.

Note the Cap 'H' and no plural in 'object'

Cheers

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Christ!! It's a conspiracy:-D
    The first search for "Hidden object" may yield just a few threads!! Hit the play/go button again!!
    :wave

5. NO CLUE

NO CLUE Private E-2

I had read the 'Search threads' and what Avira had to say online in various places SIKVIK. I was wondering what folks here, who I hold in higher esteem than ANY other computer forum online, had to say about it. Guess my question is answered. And just so you know I suffered a major head/brain injury last NOV09 in a car accident, and do not profess to have all my facilities back; nor to be computer literate as you fortunately are, thank you.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Seems as sikvik mentions that Avira is throwing up some hidden objects in its scans, yours is not malicious as NtmsSvc is actually the removable storage service to windows and the reg entry is legit,

May or may not work but try this, if you do have a USB HDD or USB pendrive etc unplug it and run the scan again and does it show up again?

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You can also go into Avira and indicate what you want it to ignore while scanning, if those hidden file message annoy you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds