How To Change FSB & CPU Multiplier Speeds in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blue_Arsed_Fly, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Blue_Arsed_Fly

Blue_Arsed_Fly Private E-2

When I access my BIOS from startup on Windows 7 i'm not getting an option to change any settings such as Front Serial Bus or CPU Multiplier speeds.

How do i do this?

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Your version of windows shouldn't have any effect on this, were you able to before?

3. Blue_Arsed_Fly

Nope. Take it this means I can't?

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Probably not then at that point unless there is a new bios to flash that unlocks those features. Generally speaking, cheaper motherboards won't have as many features such as you mentioned.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Also if its a OEM build one like DELL, HP then again very likely it will not have clock and multiplier setting options, but be weary as random BIOS versions that say they unlock options in the likes of DELL, HP, ACER etc PCs are likely to kill your PC as a bad BIOS flash on many OEM boards is unrecoverable as they dont have a backup BIOS chip.

6. Blue_Arsed_Fly

It's HP.

Any recommendations for overclocking software so? Preferably something that offers some sort of BIOS backup feature to external hardware, if possible.

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

If it's not in the BIOS presently then I really doubt there being an update or software available, it's not worth their time to code things like that. OEM's buy motherboards that are just good enough to perform, they don't want users to try and OC their cheap yet functional hardware.

You're out of luck unless you buy an overpriced OEM like Alienware(I'm not even sure about that) or build one yourself which is what I have done since my first 'made to order by supplier' machine which was OC'able back in '02. Got my 1 gig Celeron to 1.2 gigs with an ASUS mobo.:):major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds