Partitioning a new HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pickj, Apr 9, 2009.

1. pickj

pickj Private E-2

I am building a new computer with a GA-E7AUM-DS2H mother board, a new WD-3200-AAJS (SATA)(master) hard drive and a WD-5000-AAKB (IDE) hd. The IDE HD does not have an operating system installed, just some files saved from operating in another computer. I want to install windows XP onto the SATA HD. I also want to install a seperate operating system on another drive (partition). My question is, about partition size. Q1. What size should the partitions be for windows XP and Linux operating systems? Q2. Is 20 G enough? I plan to put windows in drive c: and linux in drive d: and split the difference between e: and f: The extra physical HD I guess would be drive g: Any suggestins or advice would greatly be appreciated.

ciao ciao

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

How large are the hard drives?
    You asked is 20G enough. Enough for what?
    You are also throwing around partitions c, d e and f , what are partition e and f for?

3. pickj

pickj Private E-2

The WD-3200 is a 320 G drive. I am wanting to partition the drive to increase efficiency. I wanted to put Windows XP on one partition, calling it drive c; Linux on another partition calling it drive d; and then take what is left of the drive space and either calling it drive e; or splitting it up and making it drive e: and f: It would be the same physical drive. I am thinking that 20 G is big enough for the windows and another 20 G is big enough for the linux operating systems. I was asking if 20 G for each OS was big enough.................

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

20GB in theory enough for Windows XP, and most Linux distros I have tried in the past. If you want 4 partitions, why not just divide the disk into 4 80GB sections? If you give Windows only 20GB, you mightl fill it up pretty quick with programs and such.

It really depends on how you want to use the computer.

5. pickj

pickj Private E-2

I planned to use each 20 G section for the OS only. One for Windows XP OS, and the other 20 G for Linux OS. The programs and other files will be in the remainder of the drive.
    Thank You for your response ...

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Should work just fine, then. Bit complex setup. I would just put Windows on on drive, and Linux on the other. I am kinda lazy though. :-D

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

With 320GB to work with, I wouldn't be so stingy with the windows partition. Suppose you decide at the end of this year to upgrade of XP or Vista to Windows 7. You might be sorry that you didn't allow more breathing room. 20GB seems okay for a distro. I have mine on a 10GB drive and in another computer I have a smaller distro on a 4GB hd.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds