cd and cd-rw drives not showing . . . hopeless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silmaril, Nov 21, 2005.

1. silmaril

silmaril Private E-2

Hey! My CD drive and CD-RW drives aren't shown in My Computer, or Device Manager, or Computer Management (in Admin. Tools, in Control Panel). I scanned my computer for viruses, deleted about 20—I used both Norton Antivirus and Antivir XP. Still the drives are missing. About a day or so before I noticed the drives were missing, I got Comcast broadband—I installed a network card then, and I took it out today, in case it might be causing the problem, but nothing happened. I tried that Registry trick that is on lots of websites, the one with Upperfilters and Lowerfilters, but that didn't do anything. I checked BIOS, and under IDE, only my hard drive was listed. The other entries (for Primary 1, Secondary 0, etc., or whatever they are) were grayed out, and I couldn't select or access them. So I got a FlashBIOS thing from Dell.com, put it on a boot disk, and ran the program, but nothing happened. I even uninstalled iTunes and Quicktime, which I had updated a bit before I noticed the drives were missing. Still nothing.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4500 with Win XP (SP2). It's about 3 years old. My CD drive hasn't worked in a long time—I'd put a CD in, and it would go crazy reading it, then my computer would freeze up, only to go back to normal when I ejected the CD—but the drive letter has always appeared in My Computer. I've never had a problem with my CD-RW drive before. I can open and close the doors on both drives, and the indicator lights flash on both of them (when the doors open/close and when a CD is put in), and the drives whirr a bit, as if beginning to read them, but stop after a second or two. Also, when my computer boots, I can hear it access the floppy drive, but it doesn't do anything with the CD drives.

I'm desperate here. I don't have the money to do a major overhaul of this thing, and I can't wipe the harddrive or anything, since I can't burn CDs to backup my files . . . Does anybody have any idea why this might have happened? I can understand it if the drives stopped working but still appeared on My Computer and Device Manager; it seems, however, to be the other way around . . . I'd greatly appreciate some help here :-D.

Thanks!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I am assuming you can see them in the BIOS and at post meaning they physically are connected and detected properly prior to Windows booting:

Did you update motherboard drivers? Probably Intel.
    http://majorgeeks.com/Intel_Chipset_Software_Installation_Utility_d1667.html

I assume you meant you tried this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

Next, try booting into safe mode. If you can see your CDROM's in device manager, delete them. Reboot, letting Windows redect them.

3. silmaril

silmaril Private E-2

Well, I don't think they're being detected at all, whether or not it's before Windows starts. The drives are physically present and connected, though. And I can't see them in BIOS. In the IDE menu, there are entry slots or whatever for Primary etc., and Secondary etc.—4 total—but 3 of them are grayed out, all but the first one (the hard drive) and I can't move the cursor over the 3 grayed out ones.

I haven't done anything with the motherboard drivers . . . should I? Where can I find the specs for my motherboard?

Yes, I did try the tip in the support.microsoft.com link you gave.

I don't think I saw the drives in Device Manager in Safe Mode.

4. ancient98Se

ancient98Se Private E-2

I too am having this problem,including that I can no longer view dvds,or use my cd-rom as a burner! i tried installing a :"buffalow" portable burner but will notinstall or burn,can any one helpme! Desparet! Don't want to throw away my Win98Se OS.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Folks, this thread is from 2005!
    If you have a problem, start a new thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds