Haven't been running Brother MFC-7340 Printer very long and it's already out of toner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by conceptualclarity, Jun 3, 2014.

1. I'm shocked.

Basically I've printed off a small handful of articles. I tried my best to select my printer according to what would save me on these kinds of expenses. Did it blow it horribly?

Where do I get my best savings?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: Haven't been running Brother MFC-7340 Printer very long and it's already out of t

Put it on Toner Save mode and buy bigger toner cartridges. Obviously, printing heavy color pages (color or b/w) will drain it quicker.

I'm on the same toner cartridge from the last 2 years.

Also, color laser printers aren't much better than inkjets in number of pages they can print per cartridge.

3. Re: Haven't been running Brother MFC-7340 Printer very long and it's already out of t

Thanks. Mine is black and white to save money.

Operating System
    Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4
    Northwood 0.13um Technology
    RAM
    2.00GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
    Motherboard
    Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
    Graphics
    Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
    Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
    Storage
    74GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 36 °C
    119GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)
    3GB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
    Optical Drives
    SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
    Audio
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Brother MFC-7340 Printer
    Device Kind Printer
    Device Name Brother MFC-7340 Printer
    Vendor Brother
    Location USB Printing Support
    Driver
    Date 7-11-2008
    Version 1.7.0.0

Device Kind Camera/scanner
    Device Name Brother MFC-7340
    Vendor Brother Industries Ltd
    Comment Brother MFC-7340
    Location USB Device (Location 0)
    Driver
    Date 1-31-2008
    Version 1.0.1.2

Printers
    Brother MFC-7340 Printer (Default Printer)
    Printer Port USB001
    Print Processor WinPrint
    Availability Always
    Priority 1
    Duplex None
    Print Quality 600 * 600 dpi Monochrome
    Status Unknown
    Driver
    Driver Name Brother MFC-7340 Printer (v1.07)
    \3\BROHL07A.DLL

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Re: Haven't been running Brother MFC-7340 Printer very long and it's already out of t

If this was the cartridge that came with the printer, it was probably a "starter" cartridge. They are not full cartridges, and have a pittance worth of ink in them.

Looked it up, and that's probably not the case. Toner is one thing. When is the last time you changed out the drum?

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I cannot speak for the OP's printer, but every Brother laser I have had has drum wear detection. It tells you when its time to replace it.

8. Re: Haven't been running Brother MFC-7340 Printer very long and it's already out of t

I've never heard of that. I don't know if it's available for me.

Could you tell me more?

I haven't. I have been using this a few months and as I said I've only printed a limited number of things. I went without a printer for a while--so I was accustomed to not printing promiscuously--and before that I used a Dell printer. All this is complicated by my Brother manual being lost for now.

Haven't received any such messages. I was surprised to get no notification toner was low till it completely stopped printing.

I see the possibility of saving with LINKYO brand toner cartridges. Comments?

9. Re: Haven't been running Brother MFC-7340 Printer very long and it's already out of t

For me therefore printing has only been occasional, far from daily. How long should I expect the toner cartridge to last?

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

1500 pages for standard toner.

2600 for the larger one.

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/mfc7340/supp#.U48OQpRdVoo

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

12. Re: Haven't been running Brother MFC-7340 Printer very long and it's already out of t

Wow. I'm sure I got nowhere near that. Probably well under 500 pages.

Any opinion on LINKYO brand toner cartridges?

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've only used the official ones, sorry.

Like mentioned before, if it was the starter toner, those have rather limited use.

14. Re: Haven't been running Brother MFC-7340 Printer very long and it's already out of t

Here's what I'm going with :
    http://www.suppliesoutlet.com/TN360-Jumbo-Black-Toner-Cartridge-p/cbtn360j.htm

SuppliesOutlet.com's Brother TN360 jumbo compatible toner cartridge. Says it's good for 5200 pages at $23.99. One-third of the 2600 page Brother original's price at my Office Depot. The way they shorted me with the starter cartridge didn't pay off because my disgust got me looking for alternatives.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

They are only rated for 2600 pages but I could see you getting that many with the right usage.

I buy my toner online too. I also use that cartridge.

16. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Aftermarket toner and ink are usually a waste of time and money, with rare exception.

PC Magazine even had a write up years ago regarding aftermarket ink and toner products. The answer overall was stick with OEM.

:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds