Internet connected but not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tolisrebellington, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Tolisrebellington

Tolisrebellington Private E-2

Ever since Saturday evening I have not been able to browse the Internet or access it in any way on my computer. On the Taskbar there is an icon that says Network internet access but no program can access it. I have tried Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari and none of the work. For IE I get an error message that says This page can't be displayed. For Firefox I get the Mozilla Start Page but when I try to go to another page it says connecting at the top a second or two before going back to the Mozilla Start Page. Safari gives me an error message that says You are not connected to the internet. Also any other program that uses Internet is the same story.

It is not anything before the computer as I have tried a cable I knew that worked, and am currently using that connection on my Playstation 3, and that is what I am using at this moment.

The computer I am using is an emachines EL1360G-UW11P with Windows 7

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you usually connect using a cable, replace the cable. Is there a light on the card that you put the cable into? If the light is out, it could be your ethernet card (NIC) died.

3. Tolisrebellington

There are two lights on my NIC. One normally flashes when I am using the Internet the other one stays on anytime there is a connection. When I first connect the cable to my Internet jack, the first light flashes while the second one stays on. However after a few moments the flashing light goes out.

4. plodr

5. Tolisrebellington

No X or ! on my NIC. Plus reinstalling the driver has not helped either.

6. plodr

7. Tolisrebellington

Trying a different cable was about the first thing I done.

Here is my Network and sharing center page. I also tried running the troubleshooter but had no success.

Attached Files:

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Set up a new connection and this time make it Private, not Public. It was probably Private before but has somehow got changed. I've had this happen.

9. Tolisrebellington

Tried setting up a new connection but got an error message that said connection failed with error 651

10. Earthling

can you ping anything? Not sure where you are but try pinging speedtest.net from a command prompt.

11. Earthling

Like this -

C:\Users\xxxxxx>ping speedtest.net

Pinging speedtest.net [216.146.46.11] with 32 bytes o
    Reply from 216.146.46.11: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=54
    Reply from 216.146.46.11: bytes=32 time=101ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 216.146.46.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% los
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 100ms, Maximum = 101ms, Average = 100ms

12. Tolisrebellington

Here was the results I got

Pinging speedtest.net [216.146.46.11] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 216.146.46.11: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=53
    Reply from 216.146.46.11: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 216.146.46.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% los
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 22ms

13. Earthling

Great! That proves that everything is working except the final connection to your ISP's server. You now need to get into your router config and check that your BB account username and password are pesent and correct. Hopefully you know how to do this but if not then tell us the router make and model.

Great ping times btw ;)

14. Earthling

EDIT - sorry, forget that, just remembered you said your Playstation connects OK, so it's nothing to do with the router.

Doesn't really leave a lot apart from your firewall or malware. Can you temporarily turn the firewall off and test it? You will be OK as your router will have a hardware firewall. And of course, run at least two security scans, one with your AV and another with a standalone scanner such as MBAM

15. plodr

According to the screen shot you posted, you are connected to the internet. If you had no access there would be a red X between the Network icon and the Internet icon.
    Go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196
    and start with Internet Explorer. There are instructions for resetting IE 8, 9 or 10.
    Not sure what you do if you have IE 11 installed.

16. Tolisrebellington

I did run an AV scan and also Spybot and Malwarebytes and there was quite a bit of garbage that was taken off. Still no internet though. As far as resetting IE I am running 11.

17. Earthling

What about testing with the firewall disabled? You are running out of other options.

18. Earthling

Internet Options > Advanced ( at bottom), but your problem is not confined to IE.

19. Tolisrebellington

Still no luck after turning off the firewall. I am wondering if there could be some type of Malware that could not be detected on there. As stated I ran several scans and had a bit of junk come up. Are there any other good Malware scanners out there.

20. plodr

There are other scanners BUT you have to be online to use them on the computer. It isn't something you download and run.

Since you are connected as shown by yourr network screenshot and the fact that the pings got through, doublecheck that IE 11 is not set to work offline. I think it's under the File menu.

21. Earthling

One very obvious thing we haven't suggested is System Restore. If you have a restore point that predates this starting then definitely worth a try.

22. Earthling

Just been helping someone on another forum with an identical problem and we temporarily cracked it by switching from wifi to a wired connection. I'm not totally sure what type of connection you are using though you did refer to using a cable you know works so I have to assume it's Ethernet. If that is the case then you could try disabling the wireless adapter in Device Manager on the grounds of eliminating any interference it may be causing.

23. Tolisrebellington

To my knowledge I do not have any type of wireless connection or adaptor unless it is built in the computer.

As far as a system restore that was actually the very first thing I done.

24. jacklantern

jacklantern Private E-2

Do you have other applications on your computer that connects to the internet?
    Like an online game or a messenger? Can it connect to the internet?

Try to confirm if you really have a wireless adapter by checking at Device Manager -> (at the left panel) <your computer name> -> Network Adaptors.

25. Earthling

I took a look at her machine spec last night and certainly the basic spec doesn't include a wireless adapter, and it doesn't seem likely she's using a plug-in one either. Another dead end I guess.

26. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

You might try clicking on
    Change adapter settings
    from your Network and Sharing Center, then left click on your adapter to select it then right click and select Properties.
    On the Local Area Connection Properties take a good look at what is connected. Try un-checking Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/IPv6) and reboot.

Have you tried safe mode with networking?

27. Tolisrebellington

Still no success.

As far as trying to start it in safe mode with networking enabled that was one of the first things I tried.

28. Earthling

Doesn't seem we are able to fix this. Possibly the NIC is faulty and as it will be integrated into the motherboard there isn't anything you can do about that other than plugging in a wireless adapter and using that instead.

29. Tolisrebellington

Well comes to find out my suspicions that it was some type of Malware was correct. Someone on another board suggested to someone else having problems with their computer to run adwcleaner. Since I had not tried it yet I figured why not. Within about five minutes I had my connection working again.

That being said to everyone who helped me out thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds