One account too many

Discussion in 'Software' started by rustysavage, Jul 24, 2014.

1. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

I am running Windows 7 Premium Home Edition (sp1) 64-bit on a Hewlett-Packard desktop PC

When I reach the welcome screen during the boot process, I am required to make a choice between two accounts, "Administrator" and "Rusty" (my user name). I have to click on one or the other button in order to continue with the boot process. When I first installed Windows about 3 years ago, "Rusty" was the only account on this PC, meaning that I could boot through all the way into Windows without having to stop and make an account decision. Then, a few days ago, the "Administrator" account just showed up out of nowhere and now I can't reboot without getting held up at the welcome screen.

Does anyone know of a way to get around this hang up? Thanks

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Never heard of the hidden admin account self-enabling before :confused

Anyway, net user administrator /active:no from an elevated command prompt should hide it again.

3. jacklantern

jacklantern Private E-2

At msconfig, there is an entry where a certain winlogon (or winit, I forgot) is being loaded at the startup tab. Try checking that and try it.

Alternatively, there is an option at User Accounts (run netplwiz) where you can setup an account to automatically login.

4. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Yup, both of you are correct. Thank you.

Here's the exact sequence of mouse clicks for those of you unfamiliar with the command line:

Start Button >> Type "netplziw" >> Highlight %User Name% under "Users for this computer" >> UNcheck "User must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box >> OK

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds