Different Memory Speeds (RAM)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HarleyK, Jan 9, 2006.

1. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

Simply, I've got three RAM 'cartridges' in three RAM slots on my MB.

It was initially made up of 1gig (Corsair) and two 256 slots of (Corsair) - However, I was given a 512mb slot of Kingston RAM but I noticied that the Memory speed was quicker than that of my original ram pieces - I can't recall what they were or what speed the new one is but I was just wondering if the excessive speed on the Kingston piece will cause me problems?

I'm assuming that the RAM will perform to as much as it can and won't do anymore damage, but I'd like confirmation, as such.

I had one blue screen of death after the installation of the RAM but I had one when I installed my new stick of RAM (1gig, a few weeks ago) so I thought nothing of it. I went to play Halo and it give me a weird crash error, one that I looked up and found very little on. So I've re-installed Halo and will wait to see if anything changes that.

As I said, would like some sort of confirmation just to say that it'll not cause expected problems.

Cheers.

2. Unexperiencedn00b

Unexperiencedn00b Private First Class

If you have more than one stick of RAM in your machine, and they are different speeds, the RAM will run at the Lowest speed...for example

If you have 1 stick of 512 Kingston PC 3200, and one stick of 256 Kingston PC 2700.....your RAM will run at 2700. Having different brands is okay ie. Kingston and Corsair, however, you will get the best performance if you stick to one brand. Each brand tends to be just a little bit different, such as Latency, and some other minor things.

Did this answer your question?

3. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

It does to a degree, thanks for the reply.

If that is the case, I don't mind, because my 1 (gig) and 256 (both corsair) are running at the top speed that the MB can handle.

The 512 Kingston slot exceeds what my motherboard can run at - and thats where my concern is.

If my 512 piece can only run at the top speed of the other ones then thats fine, because it's at it's peak anyway. It's just that I don't want anything to burn out because the 512 is demanding more than my MB can provide.

4. HarleyK

HarleyK Private E-2

Tried Halo, didn't get 5 minutes play.

Changed the RAM back to the original, and played it for a good 30 mins, no problems at all..

Seems the MB doesn't like the Kingston.

5. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

It could just be bad RAM, run memtest for a few hours with the new RAM and see what it says.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds