i wont to swap my 80gb sata hard drive for a samsung 320gb ide hard drive. i a

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by costac19, May 10, 2008.

1. costac19

costac19 Private E-2

hi im costac19, new to major geeks im trying to swap my 80gb sata hard drive for a 320gb samsung ide hard drive how do i do it? are the cables the same and how do i swap the data from one drive to the other. thank you to any one that can help a new member and a novice upgrader.:D:eek:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

No the cables are not the same, SATA and IDE are very different.

So ground info is needed though....

What motherboard do you have, make and model?
    If you dont know this info then Everest Free will help just tell us what is listed under Computer > Summary > Motherboard

or tell us if this PC is a OEM build as in HP, Sony, Dell etc again model and version number is needed.

These days most or majority of motherboards that employ SATA only have 1 at most IDE connections, so if your using 2 CD/DVD drives the connector capacity will be full.

If you do have a spare IDE connection, then my advice to you is to keep the SATA drive as the primary C: drive ( as they are faster in data transfer than IDE ) and use the ID drive as storage, so once the IDE drive is installed copy all your normal data/music/video/image etx files to the larger drive and just use the SATA for the OS and applications.

3. costac19

costac19 Private E-2

thanks for your help halo, it was very useful, as you sugested i decided to keep my sata drive as the main drive and installed the ide drive as a secondary drive. unfortunatly i did have two dvd drives and i had to take out one of them as i could not connect the hard drive as well. thanks for replying to my call for help. also thanks to everyone at major geeks. costac19

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Another possibility would be to get a external USB enclosure for your new HDD. They are very inexpensive.
    This would allow you to keep both the DVDs on your IDE connector, or for that matter you could place one of the DVDs in the enclosure.

5. zappie

zappie Private E-2

I am very new to this and am old so please be patient. I, also, want to change out a hard drive. My old one is going out I think. I have a WDC/WD 400JB - 00FMAO 37 GB and bought a Seagate PATA/100 750 GB. Will my computer handle this? My BIOS is Phoenix Technologies LTD 6.00 P?G 9/10/2003. I have no idea what I just typed but the box says I need ATA 100 with 48 bit BIOS and drivers. Can I use this HD? Thanks in advance for any help.

6. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

If your bios is 48bit LBA enabled and your o/s also fulfills that criteria ie XP SP1 or greater (if windows) then your new hard drive will work ie the bios will detect and so will windows.

You can also clone the contents of your old drive to the new one, unless you feel that a fresh install would be better. If you choose the later option, then format the 750Gb drive with an extended partition and just copy your data over to the new one.

Personally, I would clone the entire drive then that way you will have a workin o/s and then you can create a new primary partition on your new hdd were you can reinstall everything ie o/s + progs at your leisure.

Good luck

PS A good piece of advice with pcs is never to buy anything unless you have researched that it is compatible. In this case your new hdd appears to comply.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

zappie, start a new thread with your problem.

8. zappie

zappie Private E-2

Ok sorry...Just learning the ropes...Thanks:eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds