Outlook Express Inbox Empty

Discussion in 'Software' started by kjj911, Nov 27, 2009.

1. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Hi! Hopefully someone can help me because I have been searching for weeks with no luck in fixing this. One day my Outlook Express 6 had a couple thousand emails and the next it is blank. I have no idea what happened. All other folders/subfolders are there and contain all their messages...it is only the Inbox that seems locked up. I did do a files search and found an Inbox.dbx that shows it contains 2,097,099KB so I am guessing that those are my hidden emails. Anyone able to help me figure out how to retrieve them back to the Inbox? By the way I am using Windows XP operating system.
    All help appreciated!!

Thanks!
    KJ

2. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Hi.
    Don't tell me the begining, but tell me everything after the @ in your email address. like gmail.com or emailaddresses.net

3. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello kjj911:wave I also use OE6 and Windows XP SP3 I'll be glad to try to help you. We can trouble shoot it, if you like, and try to find the problem. May just be a setting that has changed.. Are you on a dial-up-network, or hi-speed? Yeah, I ask for a reason LOL

4. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Windows XP SP2
    DSL Internet
    I have several email addresses ending in sbcglobal.net and
    also used a yahoo.com one for a while.

5. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, kjj911, now, if we are not interrupted again, [zDawg ], Which one is your DEFAULT mail client?? Have you checked your settings in OE? Tools> Options >General Tab. Is OE set as the default mail client? Look at the bottom, there is a button, "This application is the default mail handler". Make sure that says yes....;)

The reason I asked about your connection, is I am on a dial up network, and from time to time, they will change a setting on the server... which will goof up my OE... ;)

6. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Yes OE is set as default.

7. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, tha tis one step :) Now, Tools > Options> Maintanance. what is checked there?

8. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Empty deleted items folder on exit

9. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, uncheck that, and check delete news messages 5 days after being downloaded. OK and close.

My next step, would be this, since you have several e-mail addresses..:

To show and hide IMAP folders

When you first synchronize your Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) account, all the messages in all your folders will be downloaded unless you hide some of them or change their synchronization settings (for example, from All Messages to Headers Only).

1-While you are online, click an IMAP server in the Folders list.
    Your e-mail folders will be displayed in the main window.

2-Click IMAP Folders.
    3-In the Show/Hide IMAP Folders dialog box, select a folder, and click Hide to prevent downloading its contents. Click Show to view the folder and download its contents.
    Only the displayed folders will be downloaded when you synchronize the account.

You can change synchronization settings to specify whether you want to download headings, full messages, or new messages only.

One other note, .dbx folders are compacted folders...

10. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Ok, let's try this : Open IE, and let's make sure Outlook Express is your default newsreader, so that when you click a newsgroup link on a Web page or choose the newsreader command in your Web browser, Outlook Express opens.

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Programstab.

Make sure OE is the e-mail client...

Sometimes, if a setting in IE changes, that too will change..

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  11. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, kjj911, I think I ma confusing you here.. Let's try a simpler step, and see if it solves your problem.. Try this EASY one:

Open Outlook express, With the folder selected that should contain the missing messages (Inbox), go to View > Current View and click on "Show all messages."

Let's see if this solves your problem, shall we? This is the simplest one.

12. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Ok...

Uncheck empty deleted items folderon exit, and check delete news messages 5 days after being downloaded. OK and close....DONE

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Programstab.
    Make sure OE is the e-mail client...DONE/WAS ALREADY

Open Outlook express, With the folder selected that should contain the missing messages (Inbox), go to View > Current View and click on "Show all messages."...DONE/WAS ALREADY

I have to say the IMAP did confuse me...!. because I could not find what you said to do and 2. I'm not sure I understand what exactly that would do.
    Since all the folders I have created to save various emails are still viewable under Outlook Express...that it is only the Inbox not displaying...I want to be sure nothing we are doing will cause them to be lost also.

I have to say since you said dbx is a compressed file...all my mail folders are now dbx and since I have always said no to compressing when Outlook wanted to....I wonder if somehow the popup to compress folders accidentally got okayed thus creating this problem....like maybe the computer was shut down before it was finished which it always said not to do.

This is the error I am now getting when trying to receive mail to the Inbox...
    An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'XXX, Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800C0133
    (with the xxx being in place of the account name.)

Also, I noticed today as it goes through trying to receive email it say receiving 1 of so many messages...it just cannot receive them and gets the above error instead...so it seems to be trying.

Thank you for all your help......it just seems like it has to be some little setting glitch somewhere but I sure have been unable to find : (

13. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Good morning kjj911, OK, we shall continue now, and with an error code, that helps a lot. I will see what I can find with that error.. The IMAP was just a suggestion, due to the fact you are using several e-mails, but not a biggie...;)

The compacting may have went haywire, sure.. I'll see what I can find out... Give me a few minutes;)

14. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, kjj911, I believe we have a corrupted dbx folder. Let us try to solve this problem. ;)

Error Number: 0x800C0133 = a corrupt Inbox.

Move any mail you wish to save to a local folder you create. Then:

Tools > Options > Maintenance > Store Folder will reveal the location of
    your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
    Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start > Run.

In WinXP, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
    marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
    Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start > Control Panel > Folder Options >
    View.

With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in question {Inbox.dbx} and
    delete it. A new one will be created automatically when you open OE.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
    corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
    mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
    folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
    working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
    open. Then: File > Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
    Status Bar). File > Folder > Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
    the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning of outgoing messages in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
    of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
    time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
    continue to protect you sufficiently.

15. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Ok...please bear with me here.....want to make sure I am doing this right.
    I created a Inbox New folder on my desktop...then found Inbox.dbx and copied all contents to the Inbox New folder....then deleted the Inbox.dbx. (Also just as a note when finding the Inbox.dbx I noticed all mail related folders were dbx..like my subfolders but there is one folder titled Inbox.bak...should that be there?

This is as far as I went......

What do I do next...reopen Outlook Express?

16. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

My reply to this one hasnt shown up...said it had to be okayed. All the others posted when I sent them. I hope it gets posted and didn't get lost in cyber space.

17. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi. I just approved it. In order to make sure your posts show up, don't use all the "..." (periods) you are using in your posts. It makes them go into moderation.

18. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, kjj911, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but this is as quick as I could get back, as my 'puter was downloading an update, and it took forever! :-o

The .bak file is fine... Your old messages were in the .dbx , and you copied them to the desktop. Good. Now, just open Outlook, and it will re-create a new inbox.dbx . You did delete the old inbox.dbx, right?

OK, now you should be able to import those messages into your inbox in OE.

1. On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
    2. Select the e-mail program you want to import messages from, Inbox New folder and then
    click Next.
    3. Verify the location of your messages, desktop and then click Next.
    4.You can choose Selected Folders to import messages from one or
    more folders. click Next.
    5.. Click Finish.

Now, your messages should be in your inbox.;)

19. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Hi fellow Michigander : )
    Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. I had to work today.

Ok > I opened OE and it did create a new Inbox and downloaded all the mail I had saved on the server. Now I get a little confused with the Import of the old saved messages. I go to File, Import then Messages
    It says select the program you want to import from but Inbox New Folder is not an option so not sure what to do.

I know we are nearing the end if you can just help me through this last part : )
    Thanks again!

20. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Good Morning kjj911:wave I see that... Hmmm..Just how big is this folder? Can you open it? If so, Try this: Right click onto any of the files, and then click send to: Send it to your e-mail address, and see if you can open it in there.. Otherwise, I'll do some more searching.. I see with my OE6 it doesn't have the desktop as an option...

You might also try to right click and send that folder to one of your other e-mail addresses, and then import to Outlook.

Importing items into Outlook Express
    You can easily import items from other programs into Outlook Express. These items include:

Messages from other e-mail programs: Including Netscape and Eudora. You can also import messages from many Microsoft products, such as Outlook or older versions of Outlook Express

I'll see what else I can find, so hang in there, I am sure this last step will be the most simple answer.;)

21. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, Too late to edit that one, kjj! Let's try this, and see how it works, just disregard my last post... This one may be a tad more simpler:

Let's say you want to import the file MOMMAIL.DBX: [Inbox New folder]

1. Open OE and create a new local folder by right-clicking on LOCAL FOLDERS
    (at the top of the list in Folders pane) and selecting NEW FOLDER, and name
    it TEMP.

2. Open (click on) the new (and empty) folder named TEMP once.

3. 'OE Tools > Options > Maintenance > Store folder' will reveal the
    location of your store folder. Write it down.

4. Close OE.

5.. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your store folder (#3 above), find
    and delete the file TEMP.DBX. Leave Windows Explorer open to the store
    folder.

6. Now right-click on Inbox New folder MOMMAIL.DBX (wherever it's located) and COPY it to
    your clipboard.

7. PASTE the contents of your clipboard into the store folder | Right-click
    on Inbox New folder MOMMAIL.DBX and RENAME it to TEMP.DBX, then close Windows Explorer.

8. Open OE and the messages should be found in the local OE folder named
    TEMP. You can drag the messages into another OE folder, or you can just
    rename the TEMP folder to kjj911 MOMMAIL (or any other name, as long as you don't already have an OE folder by that name).

It's really a simple procedure. Don't think about what you're doing or why
    or how it works, just follow the above instructions.

Please let me know how this works.. Seems to be the key answer to a lot of OE importing problems.. ;) Just follow the above steps.. ;)

22. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

This is going to sound stupid but I never use it...how do I copy the file to the clipboard?
    And I am copying just the file not the folder itself that contains the file right?

23. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello! No, not at all.. Easy to do.. Right click onto that folder, and then left click on COPY. That copies the contents to your clipboard. ;)

24. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, You should be able to R. Click onto it, and COPY the CONTENTS to your clipboard.
    If you get a pop-up asking you where you want it copied too, click clipboard
    The contents should be copied to your clipboard.. That is pretty much default.;) Let me know, and don't delete it until we are done..

25. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Hmmm....all seemed to go according to plan...showed them coying to the folder but was all steps were done...TEMP folder under Inbox is empty :(

26. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hey, kj911, did you do the paste?

7. PASTE the contents of your clipboard into the store folder > Right-click on Inbox New folder MOMMAIL.DBX and RENAME it to TEMP.DBX, then close Windows Explorer.

8. Open OE and the messages should be found in the local OE folder named
    TEMP. You can drag the messages into another OE folder, or you can just rename the TEMP folder to kjj911 (or any other name, as long as you don't already have an OE folder by that name).

EDIT: Did you have OE open at the time you copied? #4 Close OE and try it again, then open OE after pasting..;)

27. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Yes I did the paste....even used the same names you used to make sure I got everything exact to what you were saying.

28. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, that was supposed to be the easiest, so let me sniff out some more info. Oddly enough, you did see them copying, so we should be almost done... hang in there;)

OK, let's try this: Rename that folder, by putting an asterisk * in the name:
    *JJ911 and try the steps again... Let's see if that wild card makes a difference..... Shall we?

29. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Let me run this past you in case I did something wrong....
    when you said to paste the contents into the store folder...I went to that page and clicked outside any box/folder and clicked paste. If I tried to click within a folder, paste was not an option. When it showed it was copying it has MOMMAIL at the top but then showed copying from Inbox New to Inbox New (which is the name of my folder that MOMMAIL.DBX is in on my desktop)

30. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

WHich folder do you want me to rename....Inbox new, MOMMAIL.dbx or TEMP?

31. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, I used MOMSMAIL as an example, but it sounds like you have New Inbox Folder
    OK, sounds like all your mail you were looking for went to INBOX NEW... Now, that answers my question... You cannot have two folders the same name;) OK, let's copy everything in the INBOX NEW to a new folder: I want you to take that Temp. folder you created, the NEW empty one, and rename it kJJ911.

Try this: Open OE. Go to Folders> look for the NEW TEMP FOLDER we just created. R. click onto it, and then click RENAME > kjj911
    Now, close OE...
    R. click the NEW INBOX FOLDER on your desktop, and click copy.
    Now, click paste to kjj911

basically, we are doing the same thing, but all your mail is in the desktop folder, and we want to get it into the kjj911 folder, and then to your inbox. Once that is done, we can delete the kjj911 and the desktop folder... Let's see how that works. I am still with ya here, it sounds like the two inboxes confused the 'puter. ;)

32. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

The NEW TEMP. It should still be empty, right? Rename to:kjj911

EDIT! YOu have a MOMSMAIL .DBX also? We'll copy anything in that one also, and past into KJJ911

33. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

I have done step by step what you said or so I believe I have but it is not working.
    Maybe I am just getting tired. Started out everything on the store page was a rectangle box with a name. Now I have gained a box there with a folder titled Inbox New which is the folder I had the mail I am trying to retrieve saved in on my desktop. The file with the mail inside that folder I did rename MOMMAIL.DBX just to make sure I stayed straight with your directions >not that I thought I had to but knew everytime you said to do something with that folder I would be sure I was in the right spot.

I did redo all the steps changing the TEMP folder under Inbox in Outlook Express to *kjj911* and no luck. When I go to the store page where I would click to paste, if I click as if trying to paste inside a selected file such as *kjj911* paste is not an option> it is only an option if I click in an open space between those files. Does that make sense?

34. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Well, actually, no, but maybe something to do with SP2. Give it a try, and tell me what it does.. I am using SP3, so may be just a small factor. Try "click in an open space between those files" and copy then just repeat the steps you did earlier.. This shouldn't take long...

Isn't that what you did earlier, tho? If that is, and you seen the files copying, then just do the same thing again.. ;)

Not to worry, once we get these messages into the inbox in OE, we will delete the ones on the desktop. But not until we get them all in the inbox ;)

35. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Ok...when I click copy on the folder on the desktop and then click paste outside the folders on the store page, the file copies but shows up as a folder with the file inside of it > not as a file itself. I did notice though that at some point through this I did end up with a file on the store page titled MOMMAIL.DBX and it has the total KB I am trying to transfer as if it contains the original missing emails.

36. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, did you open OE, and paste that into KJJ911? Give that a whirl, unless you would like to pick this back up tomorrow.... I can give you some good links, if you are interested in some good reading on this, if you like..;)

It just sounds odd, that this isn't working like it should... Hmmmm.. Let me know what you would like to do.

37. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

When I open OE there is no MOMMAIL Folder> only see the file when I am on the store page > (the one like 7 steps into C drive in explorer). If I click on that file on the store page and then try to right click on either Inbox or kjj911 folders of OE, paste is not an option. It is like we are so close but just cannot get it. I really want to get it done but I do need to call it a night as I need to be up early for work. Any links you think might be good I would be glad to read also. I want my mail back to bad! And I do appreciate all your help!

38. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Yes, kjj911, this has me stumped too, as I never had this fix NOT work! Here are some links for you, the first is about the error code, and has LOTS of good useful info:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...078634d05944&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

The second one, is an OE toolbox, I keep in my favorites:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx this is good for most things, but I think the first one will help you more.

No problem with the helping you, I am just sorry it didn't work. Odd for sure.. Like I said, may have something to do with SP's tho.. Keep me posted, will you? I'll check in again tomorrow, as I am about to call it a night also! ;)
    I'll do some checking, and see if I can find out why it didn't work.;)

39. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Man I must have been tired. Put the computer on the floor next to the bed while waiting to see if you sent another response and found it still running there at 6:30am.

I will study those links today and I have the next 2 days off also so maybe will have extra time to play with it. I can't help be feel it is right there....like if you were at my laptop you would maybe be able to say here is the problem and it would be fixed. I did try today importing mail to Moxilla Thunderbird in hopes that mail file would import and I could then import it back to Outlook but everything came except that file....just too weird. It is like it is there but locked from doing anything with it.

Anyway, I will keep trying. Please let me know if you think of anything else to try. I don't know if you can do this on this website but would screen shots of what I am looking at help at all? Just an idea...I know my friend sends me those when he has a question he wants me to answer.

Thanks for all your time and hopefully we will still find the glitch! : )
    Have a good day!

40. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello kjj911, I also think it is right there at our fingertips too. Yes, screen shots would be very helpful. :)

Let's take the files on your desktop, all those new folders, and add an extension to their names.. R. click onto each one, and add: old.dbx

Example: MOMSMAIL will now become MOMSMAIL_OLD.DBX , etc.

Now, try the steps we did earlier, and see if you can copy them to the store folder, and then paste into KJJ911

Once all the messages are in KJJ911, we can delete the ones on the desktop. Please let me know how this goes. .Yes, so close, and yet so far;)

41. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Ok...to clarify some things. There is only one folder on my desktop (well two because I created a second and gave it a different name in case what I am doing corrupts the folder I am working with I will still have one that has the same mail saved to it....figured I could delete it if we get the one we are working with to actually work and transfer mail). That folder looks like a folder and was last titled kjj911...inside that folder is a rectangle picture titled Momsmail.dbx.

When I go into C/Documents&Settings/Name/Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/Row of Numbers/Microsoft/Outlook Express there are no folders.
    Everything there is a rectangle picture with the name of the folder below it. Just Fyi: when we started all this they had one picture on the rectangle and the title said the name of the file.dbx...now the picture has changed on them and the dbx no longer displays but if I point the mouse at them they do say Type: DBX File.

So when you refer to adding old.dbx can you clarify if you want me to add that to the folder name (kjj911old.dbx) on the desktop or to the file inside the folder momsmailold.dbx? Also, in one place you had an undescore between the name and old.dbx...do you want that there or no?

Just trying to make sure you are picturing exactly what my screens look like and that I am doing correctly what you are suggesting.

Also to clarify, when this compressing glitch occurred the Inbox was filled with mail from all my accounts but then was blank and would not work. Just a reminder that as we have been doing these steps, the Inbox has gone back to working b downloading current mail, just will not import the mail that was in the Inbox prior to the glitch. Any sub folder I had created under Inbox retained it's mail and functions properly...only glitch is with the inbox. It has been asking me to compress mail when closing Outlook since it started getting incoming again and I read on one of those links you gave me that sometimes recompressing will correct compression glitches so I did try that this afternoon but it did not change anything.

Hopefully that clarifies that we are on the same page with what this all looks like and functions like on this end. Advise what you want me to do next. I didn't do the last suggestion because not sure if I should change the folder or the file name or both.

42. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi Kjj, change the name of the file/folder on your desktop. ;)

Did you click show hidden folders at the beginning,? If you did, then you have to go back, when you are finished, and click don't show hidden folders,, and they will all go back to normal.. If you clicked "show hidden folders" in order to find the dbx folder you were looking for, that is why the compressing is always asking you that.. Is your inbox working properly now? It should be working now..

We are just trying to get the messages from the new desktop folder to the kjj911 folder, THEN you can transfer them to your inbox.... Give it a whirl, and see how it goes now...

43. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Ok...I am still confused....you say change the name of the file/folder on the desktop....
    I have a folder that contains a file...each with it's own name.....are you saying change them both for just the visible folder?

44. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Yes, make them visible first, then follow the steps for copying the files to the store folder, and then hopefully, into kjj911. Once they are in that folder, you can open it, and move the messages to your inbox.. Once all this is done, we will go back and put everything to origianl settings, including the hiding of the dbx folders. Those are hidden by default.....;)

45. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

hey TC would it help if kjj did some screen shots?
    BT

46. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

I think we are on different wave lengths > or I am > so bear with me.
    On my desktop is a picture of a folder which I have named kjj911> that folder is visible on the desktop like a folder you would pull from a file drawer. Inside that is the file that contains my missing emails and that inner file is titled momsmail.dbx. Which of those two did you want me to add old.dbx to? Both?

47. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

I think it might but not sure how to do that.

48. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Screen shots would be great, I could understand a lot more for sure, thanks BT..

kj911, Add the old.dbx to any folder that is on the desktop, that was created last night... When you "copied" the files to the store folder, you watched them all copy and go.. Then, when you pasted, you said you have several new folders on your desktop... Change their extentions to old.dbx, and try to copy them again to the store folder, and then paste to your new folder under your inbox... I hope that explains it better...

49. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

I added old.dbx to the folder name and to the file inside and went through the
    copying steps again. Again I cannot paste when clicking on a file in the store folder.
    If I click outside one of the files paste becomes an option but below is what is shows on the screen as copying (reminder desktop folder is kjj911old.dbx and file inside is momsmailold.dbx)

Momsmailold.dbx.dbx
    From kjj911old.dbx to kjjo911old.dbx
    (shows copying folder to folder like copying does)

However, what it then does it puts a folder in the store folder where all the others
    display as files.

Am I making sense in explaining what it is doing?

50. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Just to clarify again...there is only one folder containing one big file on the desktop...
    everytime I have done the copy routine I have seen the file copy > about 3 minutes worth but always puts it in a folder in the store folder >not a file like all the others. But this all revolves around one folder with one file inside.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds