Failed To Save Local Policy Database

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chainsaw, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Private E-2

Three computer workgroup.
    One running XP Pro, one running XP Home, one running XP Media Center.
    XP Pro computer is visible as a workgroup computer but not accessible.

I have gotten advice to change the settings in local policies\user rights assigments to allow the other computers in the workgroup to access the files on the XP Pro machine. When I go through and make the changes I get an error message:
    Security Template
    Failed to save local policy database.

I am logged on as an administrator while doing this. Any ideas? All of the file sharing is enabled etc. I'm pretty sure that if Windows would save my changes my problem would be solved.

2. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Private E-2

Got it to save the changes by adding a user account with the same name as one of the other computer's name in the workgroup. Now I simply get an access denied message. Can someone simply describe how I get all of the permissions, user accounts, and passwords to line up properly?

3. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

I am currently having the exact same problem.

I have a home network set up ok. The only problem is the client is unable to access the shared files on the host.

\\Host is not accessible. You might no have permission....

Access is denied.

I'm really stuck and have been googling for solutions for ages :(

4. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

Ok, i have made a little bit of progress. The client comp can now see the shared folders on the host. But access is still denied.

Does anyone have any tips? I've been trying to do this all day.

5. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

Any network experts here ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds