Pc shutsdown when game loads or I perform furmark test

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mansoorkasmi, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Mansoorkasmi

Mansoorkasmi Private E-2

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. And I just registered here after reading this thread. I am facing a similar problem like Craigstewart. I am also monitoring my CPU and gpu temperatures using hw monitor tool and I haven't found any problem with temperatures the temperatures are normal. The problem here is that as soon as I load a game my system goes into safety mode or should I say shutdown, without any error message. Also I used intel burn test to test my CPU And it performed good. But as soon as I ran furmark, my system shutdown . The test didn't even started. I tried this two times and same thing happened.

I did read about a similar issue on other forum and the problem was with psu but I am not sure that it is psu.

My system config is

Motherboard - ASUS M4A88TD EVO
    CPU - AMD PHENOM X4 965 black edition 3.4ghz
    Ram - 4gb kingston
    Gpu - Evga gtx 560ti ( crysis maximum graphics edition)
    Psu - 500w

I have completed crysis 2 on the above mentioned configuration, without any problems
    But now dirt3 , assassians creed and even crysis 2 is causing problems.

@rikky - thanks for your warm welcome.

2. Mansoorkasmi

Mansoorkasmi Private E-2

Ok I will check it with a 600 watt

3. Mansoorkasmi

Mansoorkasmi Private E-2

Yes I too think its pretty weak. I will try to change the psu and check

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

As Rikky said in the other thread, a 500w PSU for that system is cutting it fine, especially if it was a stock PSU with a low 12v rail amperage.
    It's perfectly possible that your PSU is no longer performing the way it was.

If at all possible borrow a PSU to test.

Also since your PC is clearly older than Craigs I would be interested to see your GPU temps under load.
    Is your PC clear of dust and has good airflow?

5. Mansoorkasmi

Mansoorkasmi Private E-2

hi Nedlamar. i almost got the culprit please see the photo in my post. one connection is coming from PSU & the other one which is more burnt is the Y-splitter I used to connect to my GPU. Now I know that the problem was the burnt cables. But still to be sure i took my GPU to my friend for testing on his system. we played dirt 3 for quiet some time without any problem, all went fine until we tried the benchmark and stress test using OC scanner from EVGA.
    Stress test was fine. but when we ran benchmark test the system shutdown, the temperatures of the GPU was 74 degree. then we again did the benchmark test and the system shutdown again around 75 degree. Point here to be noted is that my frind has same PSU as mine (500W). I have attached the picture of my PSU spec. I Hope it will help.
    So I am still confused is it my GPU that has problem or my PSU.

we also tried the same test on my friends GPU i.e Palit GTX460 and all test went good. but my friend was saying that the minimum requirement for his card is 450W.

Please help me to shortlist the problem. Is it GPU or PSU.

i have recently cleaned my PC and i am keeping my left side panel open to keep it cool. I think would have to buy a good case also. as my current case only has one stock fan. please see the photo of it. (i know it looks a mess )

Attached Files:

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Its unlikely its the video card causing the problem,over heating unstable video cards BSOD out,you say the benchmarks ran for longer in your friends computer also,if it was overheating it would do so at the same time all things being equal and 75C isn't that hot really where modern cards are concerned they are designed to run much hotter usually up to 100C before heat become an issue and they shutdown.

Let your computer cool down,run this program,set your fan speed to 100% and leave it for a while until the core has cooled down,once its reached its lowest temperature run a benchmark and time how long it runs before it crashes,if it doesn't run the benchmark for slightly longer then I doubt its your video card overheating,it may provide one more clue anyway.

http://majorgeeks.com/MSI_Afterburner_d6254.html

Using Y splitters to power video cards on budget PSU's is a bit of a lottery,have you tried a new Y splitter yet? You want to use the group of cables with the most molex connectors to power your video card and make sure nothing else is connected to that set of wires,you can also try not using a Y splitter,instead use an adapter and connect to the other group of molex's on the other set of wires.

Also could you go to control panel,system,advanced system settings,startup/recovery,uncheck automatically restart,set small memory dump.

I'm wondering also is your friends psu the EXACT same model?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

When your computer shuts down does the screen/display turn off and the fans and lights stay on or does the whole thing turn off? Do you also have to turn it off on the back of the power supply.

8. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I agree with Rikky here, I don't think it's your GPU, especially at 75C, that's no where near scary on an ATI let alone an Nvidia (as Rikky proved to me recently ;) 84C normal parametres without hitches dude :D )
    Anyway, your PSU is as Rikky says a form of budget PSU and you only have a single 18Amp , 12V rail which is a little low.

As for the burnt cable, that's not good at all, in my opinion you should never split off PSU cables for things like GPU's, hard drives maybe, but not something under the kind of pressure your GPU is under.
    To be honest I would never use a splitter inside a PC period!

So what I conclude is your burnt cable is the main problem of your instant shutdown, but you said it shut down on your friends PC under stress test but played Dirt 3 ok. And he has the same PSU as you have.

So, Dirt 3 is fairly lightweight by current standards of graphical power needed, by comparison of a stress test prog it might as well be pong.
    So you still got the shutdown on your friends when under heavy load.
    This suggests to me what Rikky suggested right off the bat that the PSU simply cannot supply the power efficiently enough once you hit a certain requirement.
    Remember, the amount of graphical/physics power a game requires is solely dependant on the game.
    If Dirt 3 uses 100 points of power, it requires 20 points of electricity.
    But Skyrim might require 350 points of power and needs 70 points of electricity
    If your PSU supplys a steady 50 points and peaks at 60 points then Skyrim will shut you down but Dirt 3 will run fine. (numbers obviously just for arguments sake)

Anyway, that's what I think at the moment and even if it isn't your PSU it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a heavier grade in there anyway.

Many people think you can cheap out on a PSU, yet it is possibly the ONE thing you do NOT cheap out on, because if/when a PSU dies it can sometimes take everything else with it.

9. Mansoorkasmi

Mansoorkasmi Private E-2

Thanks rikky & Nedlamar for your replys, I have already ordered a new PSU (corsair HX650W). I will tryt the new PSU as soon as it is with me and let you know the results.

and to your questions - Yes my system completely shutsdown like pulling out power supply & has to be turned on via power button again and sometimes via pulling out power supply and replugging it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds