email virus hangs NAV autoprotect

Discussion in 'Software' started by radiot, Mar 29, 2004.

1. radiot

radiot Private First Class

Howdy,

About three times a day for the last 4 days, when outlook goes to collect email, the NAV icon (envelope with maglifying glass) appears in the system tray, and the repair/quarantine NAV window pops up. Then NAV locks up. Icon stays in system tray, fozen, and the window stays blank. No text appears in the blue windows bar on top of window, and inside of window freezes whatever is inside it. (Put it this way, if the screensaver kicks in and I roll the mouse to get it to stop, the NAV window cuts the last image and keeps displaying the image. ) This freeze goes on indefinitely:eek: . The only workaround we found is to click the X in the top right corner of the NAV window, which allows the infected message into my inbox. I delete it, empty the deleted items and move on.

This gives me the heebeegeebees.

Has anyone experienced this? Heard about it?

Also, yesterday when we ran a panda scan it found three items in a directory appproximately: user/documents and settings/.....deleted items (I am not sure I have this right) Panda collects these for their library when the scan is over. NAV full system scan does not find anything.

There is no apparent harm, but how can I know for sure?

OS is XP home, Norton Antivirus 2002, NIS, Adaware pro. OS, Office, NAV, NIS all up to date.

We are getting barraged with 10 to 20 netsky viruses a day, Netsky.C, .K, .J primarily, but not exclusively. Is this normal right now? Are you all getting the same kind of thing?

Thanks for any thoughts, it is appreciated.

2. billH

billH Master Sergeant

And if you do choose to uninstall NAV take a look at this page. Norton is notoriously hard to uninstall (it's everywhere in your system thus the "bloatware" nickname),The link above is straight from the horse's (Norton's) mouth. Follow their reccommended steps and you should be okay. As always backup everything and set a restore point before you do anything. Label the restore point something like "before I tried to kill NAV" or something like that. Take a look here to see what other choice of firewalls you have to replace (if you choose to) NAV and here to check out antivirus apps. Good Luck Bud :)
    Bill

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  3. radiot

radiot Private First Class

Thanks Gents,

I will uninstall NAV first chance I get. I need to swap firewall from NIS to ZoneAlarm too. I suspect it is going to be a full day project. fun, fun, fun.:rolleyes:

That said, and I appreciate the good suggestions, whatever bug is coming in seems to attack NAV in particular. I suppose being a bloated, inefficient, overhyped, most-commonly-used-by-idiots, POS makes it a fat target.

Thanks again,

D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds