Computer Wont Restart Or Shut Down from Start Menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by whiteout628, Aug 13, 2006.

1. whiteout628

whiteout628 Private E-2

Whenever I want to restart my computer, I always have to go to the CPU and hold the power button to shut the computer down. When I try to restart or shut down from the start menu, I get an end process box from CCAPP.EXE. If you click on end process, nothing happens. After you try to restart and end the process, you cannot get to Windows Task Manager from control-alt-delete. After you restart the computer manaualy, you can go in to the Task Manager and end the process if its memmory usage is under 10,000K, if its over that, the process wont end. Once the computer is fully loaded, CCAPP.EXE is using over 20,000K or more of memmory usage. The folder path that it is in is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantic Shared. The only program that I have that is from Symantic is Norton Internet Security which has expired. If I remove Norton, will this solve my problem, or is this more deep seated than that? This is starting to get on my nerves so any help with this will be greatly appretiated. Thanks!

Sorry, I forgot where I was and didnt start the thread in the right forum.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Moved your thread to Software where you will get many answers on your question.

Norton does seem to take up alot of memory in its processes and services so 20k is not uncommon, and as your subscription has now run out, nows the time to un-install NIS and pick another one, we have a few very good free ones here Majorgeeks top Freeware picks

listed ones are Avast, AVG and AntiVIR all good free AVs.. my preference is Avast. ( don remember you should only have 1 antivirus application installed at once, so download your chosen free one, unhook from the net and uninstall Norton and install the new one before connecting backup to the internet )

but also as you have an open thread in the Malware forum http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99570 , to safely rule out other issues please complete the guide and attach the requested logs :)

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

4. whiteout628

whiteout628 Private E-2

I would love to uninstall Norton, but I think my Windows Security is tied into Norton somehow. When I go to Add or Remove Programs, I have found several things pertaining to Norton and Windows Security. LiveReg (Symantic Corperation), LiveUpdate 3.0 (Symantic Corperation), Norton Internet Security 2005 (Symantic Corperation), and Norton Security Center. I'm concerned that if I remove some of these things that the integrety of Windows Security will be harmed. This computer came with Norton Internet Security, so I dont know how its set up and what else it is protecting.

5. abri

abri MajorGeek

Hi Whiteout,
    This wouldn't be relevant if you decide to stay with Nortons, although it's nice to know, but after I did add/remove programs to deinstall my Nortons, I went to the following website to use Symantec's automated removal tool. If there are still things left after running that, there is also a webpage for manual deinstallation, but Symantec recommends using that one only after you've done everything else. I still have bits and pieces of Nortons in my computer, but they don't seem to do any harm or prevent me from using another AV & Firewall. I will tell you that I don't know the extent of your deinstallation, because I used Norton System Works without the Firewall. They also mention if you decide to deinstall, to make sure you have the activation key you need to reinstall it if you do that. Here's the website for the automated removal tool that Symantec posts:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/pfdocs/2005033108162039

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds