Photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kestrel13!, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Have we got a photography thread? I did use search but didn't find much, so thought I'd start a new one.

I absolutely love getting out and about with the cam. Here's one from today.

Attached Files:

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

We may have had one a very long time ago. I'm always up for a photography thread.:)

Beautiful flower shot, kes!

I'll try and find something tonight. I have thousands.LOL I'll try to find something recent that I have taken.

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I love taking pictures of nature and covered bridges but after reading the post and seeing the pictures in musksnipe's moon pictures thread about Aperture and shutter settings, etc. I know I am just a amateur.:( I suspect there are some real photographers among us.

4. Kestrel13!

Thanks Laura. I thought it would inject some interesting content into the lounge. Not many of us don't appreciate a good picture! :) I do remember you were always brilliant with your picture taking and suspect your knack has only got better over time!

@katkat - I just point and click and the cam does all the work. I SO need to upgrade though. I am keen on bird watching and intend to get something that can zoom the hell in more! :-D

(Be forewarned trouble makers, any monkeying around in this thread and it's an instant ban LOL)

5. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

@katkat, I would hope my comments wouldn't lead to anyone feeling inferior. That's not my intention at all. I was just putting the info out there about the shutter speeds and settings because someone asked. Every one has to start somewhere, and not everyone is willing to invest tons of time and money to pursue the hobby or even make it a career. Some of the best advice that can be imparted is 'just do it'. Today's cameras do indeed take a lot of guess work out of the exposure and focusing that early cameras didn't do very well.

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Nice flower pict Kes. I am working on setting up a 'lightbox' setup for taking gun pictures. Still needs more light. Am thinking about a bright light aimed at the ceiling added to the window light, room light and 2 100 watt bulbs I can move around.

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I learned back in the day with a Pentax K1000. Not a professional photographer, but used to get paid to shoot. Enjoy it now as a hobby. And the digital 'darkroom' don't stink up the house. :-D

Loved shooting B&W with the old Rollie TLR...

8. LauraR

I'd love to see your nature photos. My grandmother used to paint covered bridges with oils.

I built one of those for macro shots of flowers. I don't think I was ever successful....or at least I have no pictures to show for it. LOL I think I decided I liked natural sunlight better for my nature things.

Here are a few of mine:

The most recent I have from about 3 weeks ago as the sun was going down. This is in my backyard:

[​IMG]

Landscape I took at the shore a couple of months ago:

[​IMG]

And some shots for our retired military I know we have here that I took earlier this year in DC:

Vietnam Memorial:

[​IMG]

WWII Memorial (HDR):

[​IMG]

Arlington Cemetery on a foggy day:

[​IMG]

And this guy was just cute (another tonemapping HDR deal):

[​IMG]

Eldon likes this.
  9. Anon-9aee479f8f

Laura I will take a look and see if I any covered bridges that are good enough to post. If we are traveling sometime I have to get a real quick shot on the run.:(

10. Anon-9aee479f8f

Covered Bridges. Just point and shoot, no special settings, just a little zoom.
    bean blossom.jpg

Attached Files:

11. LauraR

Thanks, muskie.:) Yep, I had that one on there.

As far as Oscar and Olive, I figured I put enough pics up at one time. Maybe if this thread keeps going, I'll grab one of them. As you know, I could put hundreds up. LOL

Great shots, kat. I love seeing the bridges. There is one around here that I have always though about getting a shot of. I just need to figure out a good way to do that.

When I saw the one of yours that has a sign, I thought it was in Harrisburg, PA...which is where all of my family is from.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Cool pictures everyone!

As far as the light box, I could buy one, cut I am being stubborn and cheap. :-D

I prefer natural light as well, but I don't want to drag out guns in the yard to shoot pictures. Neighbors are pretty good, but... Plus a lot of days I don't really have the time or motivation to shoot until night.

13. Kestrel13!

The bridges are cool! I love them. Kinda reminds me of a racing game I play where there's one in there, covered by a barn style building. :-D

As always Laura, your pics are beautiful. :)

Here's mine for today:

Attached Files:

14. Kestrel13!

Found a few from Sri Lanka. (Feb-March 2012)

Attached Files:

15. Kestrel13!

...and finally, two more.

Attached Files:

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

17. Kestrel13!

Dave, it's the same flower too! It's called cosmos :-D

18. DavidGP

OMG Emma! great minds and eye!

19. DavidGP

Laura looking over your pics above again today, WOW.. those are superb not only for technique but for composition, the 1st one with the plant is awesome the 3 war memorials and especially Arlington Cemetery pic is just so powerful.

@katkat .. I so love those bridges! GREAT pics... weirdly reminds me of the dukes of hazard TV show.!

20. LauraR

Beautiful shots there, Dave. I love the blue coloring on the one.

And ohhh....I have a cosmos pic!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  21. Kestrel13!

I think Cosmos makes for a most wonderful subject! :) Nice Laura!

22. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Eldon likes this.
  23. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Nice!

24. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Thanks, that Golden Eagle shot is perfect. Wonderful shot.

25. Kestrel13!

Wonderful, wonderful pictures! I LOVE the birds of prey Musky AND the muscle car! LOL

26. Kestrel13!

I do actually. My Dad has always loved them and it kinda spread to me. I also adore old style lorries and trucks. If ever I learn to drive I want me one of these. :-D 1949 Chev truck.

Attached Files:

27. Kestrel13!

Oh I am sorry, I must say that is not my personal picture. I snagged it off the net just to show you the chev :-o

Harley's are my Dad's fave. :)

28. Kestrel13!

....... LOL

This one is mine.

Attached Files:

29. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Some of these pictures are just gorgeous! All I have is a little camera phone.. nothing fancy lol so my pictures aren't nearly as nice.

I took this one the other day. Love how the clouds look so low that you could just climb the tree and touch them.

[​IMG]

30. Anon-9aee479f8f

musksnipe you posted a picture of Lake Michigan and I have some taken at the lake also if I can find them I will post a few. Beautiful lake!

31. Anon-9aee479f8f

Lake Michigan

Attached Files:

32. Kestrel13!

roflmao roflmao

I don't actually know what they are! They did look something like this before they went to seed... (not my pic) and that is cow parsley.

Attached Files:

33. Kestrel13!

Those are beautiful pics of the lake katkat and dyamond I love how like you say, you could literally climb the tree and touch those fluffy clouds! :)

I'm going to a nature reserve with a brook later on called "Dowles Brook" in Bewdley, it's a terribly rainy day but I think we're gonna go anyway. Hope to catch some pictures of Dipper and Kingfisher.

34. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks Kestrel13! Rainy days can make some interesting pictures if you don't mind getting wet. LOL

Musksnipe I did not know where I was most of the time. I have some pictures from the Chicago side and from Indiana side of the lake. Not sure about St Joe. The light house was in Michigan City IN I think. We climbed the thing and walked that concrete part of the wall that runs from the lighthouse to the shore. Pretty neat!

Enjoying everyone's pictures!:)

35. Kestrel13!

We didn't go in the end. Very disappointed but had an extremely lazy day instead... :-D

36. DavidGP

Star Wars pic cabbiinc just superb, love your other pics but that one stands out as great composition and subject!

Its like "huh... what's this droid doing here"

37. LauraR

So, I got crap for photos in Scotland. Mostly because it was so wet and we were playing golf so I took my daughter's little waterproof point and shoot.

I got this Street shot the last day though, that I liked and thought was interesting. Scottish bagpipe player in the background with this guy selling whatever is on his sign.

Attached Files:

38. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Laura, that is a very interesting street photography shot. I like it.

39. Anon-9aee479f8f

Good photo. You notice details with black and whites. Hope you will post some of your rainy day shots also.

40. Anon-9aee479f8f

Oh now you are just showing off musksnipe:-D. No seriously;) I like the falling snow. What software do you use? I feel like such a novice when it comes to photo software.

41. LauraR

Cool snow pic, Don.:)

I've never done animated of any sort before.

At some point, I'll post some more Scotland ones.

42. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

The most scenic wildlife we have around here are a flock of Ibis' raiding the dumpster at K.F. C. :(
    They have a weird call. I thought they were Cockatoos at first, but they sounded more like old men haggling, lol.:-D

43. Kestrel13!

Oh Barry that's so funny. :-D Can you try and capture this for us?! Please, please? I would LOVE to see the Ibis. You could take them something nicer to eat to entice them into giving you a better shot.

44. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

I can try, Emms, LoL! I will ave to remember to take my Digi-cam to K.F.C.'s...roflmao. They are the black-headed, Egyptian Ibises, I think. We must get a lot of water birds from Asia and the Mid-East, here. Ibises are pretty common. Some folk have them in their back yard, of all places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibis

Actually, they were probably Australian White Ibis, so it seems.:p

Had a wretched Stork eating all our Goldfish last year!:cry

45. Kestrel13!

Aww thankyou! I am loking forward to seeing them! :)

46. Anon-9aee479f8f

Summer Butterflies.

Attached Files:

Eldon likes this.
  47. Kestrel13!

Ahhh some gorgeous looking pictures there. Including a couple types of swallow tail (?) Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. :)

48. Anon-9aee479f8f

More Butterflies.

Attached Files:

49. LauraR

Lovely butterflies, kat. :) Don't you just love the butterfly bushes?

I got this guy at my photography workshop this past Sunday:

[​IMG]

50. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Nice picture Laura! Love it!:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds