Gawd...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Crimson1077, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Crimson1077

Crimson1077 MG - Offical "Active" Team Member

Man, Windows ain't as smart as we think it is. Windows has some seriously sloppy coding!! But i'm nothing but a big Windows baby!! :-D
    I know there's Linux and i heard it's better. I've had Windows 98 XP forever and now running Windows 7 pro x64. I really dislike Windows 8 and 8.1 and i don't even know about Windows 9 *Cough* Cough* I mean 10! LOL
    but i'm good until 2020 *Windows 7 dies* then maybe Linux or if i can't help to suck on Windows! I love Windows! :drool So use to it! Who knows? I may just get over myself and move on to 10 or 11 12 or what ever Windows they got in 2020. What are you running? Do you like Windows 8 or 8.1 or 10? Let me know :)

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

you had to know I would ask.

what slopping coding and how do you know?

3. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Slopping Coding is farmer sign language, for slopping the pigs. Which means to feed them for all you city boys.

:p

Couldn't resist.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I had a much dirtier mind at first but... I will keep it to myself. :p

5. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Yes, hybrids tend to have sloppy coding. :-D

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Maybe he considers it sloppy because it has to be patched weekly? or because of the bloat
    http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/million-lines-of-code/

MS had a "Star Trek" thing kinda going, where every other one was decent.
    95-meh, 98-ok, ME-yeah, there was a ME, 2000-ok(technically not a desktop OS), XP-yeah!, Vista-even calling it Mohave sux, Win 7-ok, Win 8- the ME team got back in development cycle., then 9 - this is where they messed up, they were going to release the 'start menu' back into 8, then decided it should be a new OS, 9 should of been ok, so what will 10 be?
    From what I have seen 10 is a lot more tolerable than 8/8.1.. but at the rate they are releasing OSes maybe you can wait.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

They release patches weekly because it is on constantly attack, worldwide, 24/7.

No other OS can claim that. Heck OS X was brought to its KNEES with flashback. Imagine if it was constantly under attack. Heartbleed, anyone? These are just small occurrences compared to what Windows endures daily.

Sorry, but I don't buy the sloppy coding comment unless someone knows how to code and has evidence.

I know people like to hate on Windows 8/8.1, but there is nothing wrong with it outside of preference. Just because someone doesn't like an interface doesn't mean it:

Compares to the instability of the mess called Windows ME.
    Compares to the slowness and instability of Vista (which was mostly the fault of third party drivers, and THEIR shoddy coding).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Loving the Win7 64 bit, easy to use, drivers are easy to get, stable, fast... Win8... :cry Just no. Not gonna use it unless forced. Can't speak to the performance of Win8, the interface is just too difficult for me.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I can respect that. Learning curve is a good reason not to like something, but those that lump it in with unstable OSes need to cut that nonsense out.

It is very stable, and very fast.

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, will take your word on it's stability. I ain't totally stupid, started with DOS stuff, some Linux, then Win 93/95 and up to XP and now Win7. And I HATE Win8. Can't get past the interface to even comment on stability. Will take your word it's stability, you seem to know your Win stuff.

But, I do agree, since I have not really learned it or used it, I can't comment on it's stability. Did I mention I hate it? :-D

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A couple times ;)

We develop on it at work. I also develop on Windows 10 because I am psychotic :p

We make it work for us by removing all Metro apps and pinning most common programs to the screen. Then you set the start screen background to your wallpaper and its not so bad. I'll post a screenie of it after I get my SSD installed in my Mini and install 8.1.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

OK, from this I can just keep on saying I hate Win8. :-D Not so bad is not a good thing.

I have to say, I was not a fan of Win7 until I got it. I like this OS.

13. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

What most Win8 enthusiasts forget is that any time learning a new OS is a dead loss and has to be made up with greater productivity in the new OS. So far this is not the case for Win8. Win8 does not justify the time to learn it.
    Hopefully 10 will be worth it, but I fear it will not and we will be coerced into using it for features like correct 4K scaling.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Different strokes, and all that. It took me maybe 3 minutes to learn it.

15. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

17. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Actually, Windows 8.x advantages are far deeper than that.

--Lighter on resources
    --Faster
    --More secure
    --Supports kernel hibernation
    --Better on battery life
    --Faster searching
    --Better multimonitor handling

Metro is just another design language and IMO just replaces widget functionality.

Windows 8 has advantages over 7 without using anything Metro-wise.
    http://www.extremetech.com/computin...y-desktop-users-should-upgrade-from-windows-7

http://***********.com/information-...er-on-the-inside-under-the-hood-of-windows-8/

Edit: Seriously?

Google the non-starred part of url and it should come up.

Windows 8 lets you use it how you want.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  19. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I've cleaned up my 8.1 a bit. Still needs more work. Eats up mbs. of internet real quick even after trimming a good chunk off the apps. I'll get it right after enough time. Not as technic as ardy's but on a roll. Only going to have things I use on the screen and hopefully in the background also

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Blah blah blah (logic) blah blah blah (facts).

I still don't like win8. :-D:-D And that is a fact Jack. :-D

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You are just a chicken :p

22. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I think if we took that stance on learning a new thing and that any issue that a user finds they do not like in an OS and waits for the next version, we'd spend our lives "waiting"

Don't think I've had any issues learning main features of any Windows, yes some background options can be in weird places per Win version but in the main you only need to setup settings in those areas once at best.

Always going to be options, features and the GUI that any users does not like, that's naturally going to happen always, you cannot ever please everyone, is that wrong, well no, but you also have to see where tech companies are coming from too and to push forward and introduce new things they have to take a punt now and again *the inner researcher in me popping out and at a weekend too, no get paid for weekend working* ;).

Did Windows 8 succeed, well in some respects yes, it built upon a lot of the core kernel of Windows 7, in stability and security as Adryn has pointed out, but for some no it didn't and the main "no" part of Windows 8 is just cosmetic in the Modern GUI that folk didn't like, strip that away and its no different in the main to Windows 7.

My question is do we need new interactive ways to interact with PCs, well yes and the Start menu, while good is antiquated. I think touch is in its infancy in respects to everyday computing (it works and I do use it daily, phone and Surface but not on desktop) for another 2-5yrs, is the future like Minority Report and a-la Kinect gestures, with a-la Star Trek et al speech... who knows but all I do know is some will like and some not.

Will Windows 10 be a success, yes and no, depends on what you want and what we are prepared to say ok don't like that but I can work with it, but will wait for Windows 11 to fix and so Groundhog days starts again.

@Imandy Mann

Neat desktop pic, when you say eats up internet quick, are you on a metered internet service?

One thing to help with fine tuning a PC is to review start up apps and disable ones you do not really need to have start-up, so all bar security apps. If on a meted connection check advice HERE

23. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

@Imandy Mann

Neat desktop pic, when you say eats up internet quick, are you on a metered internet service?

One thing to help with fine tuning a PC is to review start up apps and disable ones you do not really need to have start-up, so all bar security apps. If on a meted connection check advice HERE

Yeah it's a straighttalk device. On this vista i can browse MG for a hour or more on an active day and only use 4-7 mbs. The 8.1 uses triple that real quick. Have 2 accounts on it and one is better trimmed so far. Will check out your link for more info. Metro pre-installed tiles have almost all been deleted. I pinned my folder, control panel, network and such to the start page since those are what I use. The 8.1 is in timeout now because it has used up it's weekly allowance.:-D

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm waiting for a new Windows 10 build. Latest build is so, so, so very buggy.

25. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

David, "I think if we took that stance on learning a new thing and that any issue that a user finds they do not like in an OS and waits for the next version, we'd spend our lives "waiting" needs some thinking.
    Some OS are obviously better and quickly adopted, others are just a bad idea and fail. It's all about the effort being worth the reward.
    Adry, IMHO touch is terrible on the desktop and why MS has not gone with its Kinect solution is beyond me. Touching the screen means continually cleaning the screen or a blurry screen. Either of witch is a time waster. can you imagine doing AutoCAD with touch? Kinect is in the mouse price range, it just needs Windows integration. You can have your cake and eat it too, a touch screen interface where you need not touch. But this still pales in comparison to improving voice.

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I don't have touch on the desktop---where are we going with this?

27. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Sorry if I misunderstood you Adry I thought you said you wanted touch for the desktop.
    I have to support three 24" touch screens in engineering spaces running Win 7 for machinery monitoring. Dirty fingers made for poor readings and they were a nightmare until I got industrial track balls installed. This is a natural start for a non-touch interface, not even a mouse or keyboard, just gesture.

28. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, I'm not really interested in touch.

29. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Adry, what interface changes, if any, would you like to see?
    Voice, gesture, retina tracking or something else?

30. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A co-worker has a BT armband device that reads electrical impulses in his arm. He can literally control his computer by hand movements.

For example, he started his music by pointing to his computer, and then "pushed aside" songs to move to the next track.

He got it early for backing it on kickstarter.

this is something I'd like to see implemented natively.

https://www.thalmic.com/en/myo/

31. theefool

theefool Geekified

It is nice that in the Windows 10 build, you can switch between using the Start Screen, or the Start Menu (A.K.A. Windows 7 menu, Vista menu, etc). With added bonuses.

After customizing my Start Screen, I'm quite content. To me, yes me, it is easier to find stuff on the start screen then it is with the start menu.

32. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I don't use either. I use Win-Q or Win-X.

33. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

i have a PC with Win 8 and it just sit there gathering dust because i HATE jt.

34. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You can donate it to me:)

35. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I say put it in a time capsule.

Spread the hate!

36. theefool

theefool Geekified

Win + Q, thanks, I just typically click "start" then type what I want to find.

I don't use Win-X anymore, since 8.1, I just right click the start button.

Other than that, I use 8.1 at work and can do everything that windows 7 could do for me. Yes, things are in different places for certain things, but, when Vista came out, it did the same thing. Windows 7 refined it.

I've used windows 10tp, and I feel it is a more refined than windows 8.1. Just like 7 to Vista.

I also started with ms-dos, then didn't get into Windows 3.11 until the military which I also got into windows 95. Through 98SE, NT 3.5.1 to windows 2000 (Which I didn't care for [mostly due to AD changes]), then to server 2003, through 2012 r2 which is awesome.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds