New desktop

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Imandy Mann, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Not a new machine - just the part you look at. After deleting all unwanted apps of an 8.1 I decided my vista was pretty cluttered so I decided to start anew. From scratch. And just put the things I really use there. To make it so far I used MG's logo IrfanView PaintDotNet Windows 'Personalize' and uploadimg.org. So I guess each of these will get a spot. I started here

[​IMG]

What's on yours? Clean? Cluttered? Should there be a max or percentage of used space? I had over 100 shortcuts, folders, text files, links, ect. I'm terrible about saving things. I also woke up an hour too early today and needed something to do!:wave

2. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

22 icons on my screen, pretty much all my most used folders with trash, computer and Network icons.
    11 icons on my quick launch bar, again all the stuff I use often.
    Start menu has my lesser used programs. The start menu went to folders instead of just the programs because we were using Windows too fast? I have moved things around so I am back to single click to launch from the start menu (no need to open folders) and cannot accidentally click uninstall.

4. Imandy Mann

22 sounds conservative enough. I'm up to about a dozen now. Just realized one I missed 'postimg.org It's next and then autoruns and process explorer. I'm going to decide as I use things if it's a repeat enough worth adding. Since I'm going to limit it I'm going for larger icons too. This is my entertainment center alsop so will probable add a few for musis and videos. I like the leaner look already. And I like the leaness on my 8.1 also.

[​IMG]

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Nice desktop screen pic, I have zero icons on my desktop as no need Modern Tiles cover that aspect if I want to switch (Win Key), plus I use common apps pined to taskbar in the main. I'm a great one for shortcuts Windows key +

6. Imandy Mann

I'm pinning only most used item on the metro ui. Have this computer, control panel and Videos and MP3 and a few others. Have desktop link on the taskbar. Got rid of most live tiles. Have my own mp3 and video and util apps so what came with 8.1 wasn't needed.This one is Vista. We have a '7' also. Probably will end up with a '10 '11 or whatever sooner or later. I agree with the apps pinned to the taskbar for regularly used items. Shortcut keys are great but how to make them deeper? On this desk top I have a 'tools' folder. How would I make a shortcut key to each file? I've heard some even say 'keep nothing but shortcuts on the desktop but that leads back to having 100 icons there. 1 folder for 'tools'. All shortcuts. 1 shortcut to 'Videos' a shortcut to a folder. 1 folder for 'Malware/Virus scans' - all shortcuts. All copied to another location in case something happens and I need to rebuild easily. What's the best overall approach

[​IMG]

7. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

:-d:-d

Attached Files:

8. Imandy Mann

Bob D. - You must live alone or at least without women and children in the house.

9. Bob D.

That is correct.

If the photo is too naughty go ahead and delete.

10. Imandy Mann

I wouldn't go that far but that's up to the mods. Almost not safe for work but I imagine it's a popular theme. I've seen construction supervisors with dancing nude screen savers and an older version of windows allowed animated gifs as the desktop. Some took a second look to believe.

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I have mine black just so my TV and monitors last longer and use less power, clean, clinical, geek.

I only allow semi naked women on my screen for a few minutes a day, preferably coloured women or with a nice tan, then let the pixels cool off:major

What? LED Backlights are expensive to change.:mad

:-D

12. Imandy Mann

Hi Rikky. I can see the clean, clinical and geek part. But does it really use less power? I'm thinking of paint mix- it takes all colors to make black. My screen is gray when off so I assumed it would takes as much power to make it any color or maybe more for darker colors?

13. Rikky

Apparently "I've just googled it." in LED screens which mine are there's a saving but not in LCD that use cfl backlights.

Makes sense as LED backlights can be dimmed locally where cfl backlights cannot.

The real reason is I just don't like staring at bright screens, I have my LED TV and LED monitor set to maximum contrast so whites are very bright and the brightness adjusted until the blacks have a slight grey to them, this is just personal preference and not a norm, I like dark areas in games not to be pitch black.

Out of interest on a boring Sunday I will test the theory on my 46inch LED sony bravia by connecting it to power meter and seeing which draws the most power, black or white screen.

14. Rikky

The power meter just hovers around 57 watts, doesn't matter what's on the screen.

Not bad for a 46 inch TV:-D I almost bought one of the older 50 inch panasonic Viera plasma which can draw 3-400 watts I believe.

I'll live with the 0.06ms gaming lag on my LED thanks:-D

15. Imandy Mann

57 watts. Not bad. I was just looking at some green energy web sites comparing different loads for normal household products. One family member here has to run a fan 24/7 for some reason and yiou talking about a wattmeter got me curious. So a 20 inch boz fans uses about 77 watts on high, 40 something on medium and about 23 on low. Seems your 57 is less than I pay for a fan blowing in an empty room sometimes. That's not bad for a 46". On the site it was using a kill-a-watt meter.All I have is a clamp on (or wrap around) I should get a plug through device. Good info!

16. Rikky

Here ya go Imandy, pictures:-D I'm hella bored.

My computer on the other hand will eat 4-600 watts when gaming.

Attached Files:

17. Imandy Mann

That the screen the meter's reading? Pretty good. I like the meter. Need something similiar. Your plugs? 50 hertz? or 200v? Not that it matters- power is power- just looks that way.

18. Rikky

Yup UK 240v 50hz, Sony Bravia led backlight, I had a Bravia 42 inch cfl
    backlight and it drew between 1-200 watts depending how high the brightness was set.

So big improvement in tech.

19. Bob D.

Lol:-d

Attached Files:

20. Bob D.

:major

Attached Files:

21. Imandy Mann

Bob D - I have to say that one is cool!

Musk - I've look thru most my windows backgrounds and don't remember that one. Cool 2.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds