Need HELP: Sharing the printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clueless76, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Clueless76

Clueless76 Private E-2

I am running WinXP on my both of my computers. They share an Internet connection between a broadband router. Anyways, I have tried getting my upstairs computer to share the printer of the main PC downstairs and it cannot find it! I have tried all of the self-help stuff I could find and it makes it sound so easy, but I cannot seem to do it! When I use the "add a printer wizard", I click the "browse for printer" option. When I get to the next page where it looks for it, all I get are 3 things: Microsoft Windows Network, MS HOME and WORKGROUP. I guess you're suppposed to choose one, but first it asks you to type in the Printer name. The printer downstairs is named DeskJet and that is what I typed, but it says it cannot find it. Anyways, I can't get past this screen so PLEEEASE tell me what to do!

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. ktiz

ktiz Corporal

I'm having the same problem, can someone explain it in better detail plz?

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Make sure your printer is available for sharing, first. On the computer you want to network, double-click on the WORKGROUP and a list of available network printers will be displayed. Click on the printer name and it will ask if you want to use it as the default printer. Check yes and then next. On the last window, click finish. Below is a screenshot from mine as an example.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds