Converting text

Discussion in 'Software' started by Aragon, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Aragon

Aragon Private E-2

Hi folks

Short run down

I have WIndows Xp pro. I deleted a folder a few days ago by mistake ... I recovered it using the 'recuva' prog. All seemed to be well. I saved the file on an external hard drive and then reinstalled Windows(new installation).

The problem

I have just opened the 'recovered' folder and all of the word documents are in some sort of script/code. I have run through the list of 'unicode, US ASC11 etc. in word but none of them are the right one. I have also opened in note pad ... still no luck there.

Question

Can any one tell me how to convert the code back to 'West Europien Windows' please?

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

unfortunately it just may be garble, and the recovery wasn't able to get all of the info, just the filename and information, but not the data it contained...not saying this is the case, but it very well could be..

maybe try using a different program to open them, like abiword or openoffice.org or even try ms word reader .

3. Aragon

Aragon Private E-2

Thank you ... and yes you could be right, but the PDF files are intact and the word files which only contain photo's or word art are also intact so I am still hopeful.

I will have a look at abiword and openoffice. org now. Thank you for your advice.

4. Aragon

Aragon Private E-2

Still no luck .... any more suggestions from any one will be much appreciated?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds