Removed malware now IE crashes on start, Firefox also, Windows Update also

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phod, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Phod

Phod Private E-2

I fixed some malware using the instructions on this forum, the malware is all good according to the scans but it seems to have taken some programs down with it.

Internet Explorer won't load now, it just crashes on start up. I downloaded Firefox hoping that alternative would work fine and it also crashes on start. I tried to use windows update to see if I could update things to make them fix but it won't start either. I tried to reinstall Internet Explorer and the setup routine crashes.

Most everything else seems to work fine but the browser is definitely messed up.

BTW this is an older laptop running Windows XP, it's only Service Pack 1 (I know, dumb) and Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (I know I need to update).

Is there any way I can repair Windows XP/IE etc without reinstalling Windows XP or is that probably the route I need to take? I tried the Windows Recovery Console but there doesn't seem to be anything there that would fix the issues.

Any help would be appreciated. I can run any scan requested and provide a log, just let me know.

Thanks very much for all the help you do!

2. Phod

Phod Private E-2

Yeah I understand. It's a laptop that hasn't gotten used that often and I discovered it was littered with malware. Once I get it back in working order, I will be updating everything on it.

Thanks I will post logs in the removal forum.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You need to start a new thread in malware as the one you have was started in Oct. of '08.

Please do the Read and Run First instructions before you start a new thread and attach the requested logs.

4. Phod

Phod Private E-2

Hey Tim

Yes I apologize, I will post the thread in the malware removal and I have already downloaded all of the programs in the Read First message. I will provide all of the logs.

Thanks for your patience :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds