New Major Geek wear?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BirdBath, Jan 21, 2007.

1. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

roflmao Only someone from T.O., would try to dress us Geeks up like that BirdBath;) :D :D ..................P.S. Hey how do you like the snow and wind I graciously sent you for the New Year, know you missed it so I sent it as soon as I could;) :D

3. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

It snowed here? LOL

Didn't notice. Oh you mean that inch or so dusting we got? Man, it's January 21st. We usually get that kind of weather in March. rolleyes

But thanks for thinking of me :mad

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Take care BirdBath

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I didnt see a heterosexual outfit in there anywhere :( LOL

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Is he carrying a purse?

7. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Actually, as it seems I appear to be the resident fashion guru... LOL. What they are doing is taking the longjohn and making it outerwear. Honestly, i don't think that it will catch on in mainstream USA, but a lot of your "fringe" groups have been doing it for years, your Goth (or is it Emo now?), punk and straight edge younger people have been doing the more is more routine for years now. Less skin more coverage. Kind of the anti-fashion. While I am sure they are quite comfy and easy to wear, and I apologize ahead of time if this offends anyone, guys with smoething to talk about will only wear soething like this to brag about their wares... if you know what I mean.

And not, actually, he is not carrying a purse on in that pic with hte article, that is a nice leather bag. The design is what is coming to be the new briefcase, it is a cross between the calssic briefcase and the bicycle messenger bag. (I have a messenger bag I carry to and from work nad it is great, slings across the shoulder nice and easy nd hangs low enough to be out of the way) The ones with the straps are meant to be worn across the body like a bandolier, freeing the hands and eliminating the shoulder strain fo trying to keep the strap on your shoulder. Ask a woman how hard it can be to keep a purse on her shoulder when traveling....

HAving flipped through the photos, I have to respectfully disagree with MA on the outfits. WHile most of what you see ther eis considered high fashion, we are already seeing a comback of the more formal look of jackets and button downs, but that doesn't mean that every Tom, Dick and Harry on the street is going to be wearing it. I saw a few in there that even I wouldn't be enticed to try. On that note however, you also have to take into account the current Metrosexual movement. No, this has nothing to do with who you sleep with. Generally it refers to a straight guy who takes care of himself with regular grooming, including things like manicures, pedicures and facial hair waxing. I like to think of it as the positive impact of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.. LOL. I thnk that you will start to see some of the mroe conservative looks in that series making thier way to middle and upper middle class America in the coming years, but not necissarily to everyone. This is definately more of a white collar fashion than blue collar (no disrect in that, merely delineation of how differnt people choose to look at thier personal fashion.

Just my $.02, but seeing as how I intend to make a very nice living off knowing about these things, I figure I can pitch in now and again.

~C

8. Major Attitude

I feared I would be misunderstood as soon as I typed that and I hope I am not. This got long, so bear with me as I want to clarify my personality for anyone who does not "know me".

Anything i said was a joke, nothing more, I take it like I dish it out. I hate to do the stereotypical "I have friends who are" but as you read, you'll see I cant stop myself.....

I have homosexual friends (only a few) and argue with them like I would never do here publicly unless called out, but I respect them if they respect me. I remember a friend from this website and debating his lifestyle with him at Geekfest get togethers. He has to know that I dont approve and that I will occasionally make that known and the reasons why, yet he remains friends with me because he believes as strongly in his decision and I RESPECT that. He's a GREAT guy and we remain friends, just like I have friends who are Democrats. Going to a benefit for a friend this weekend actually who is gay and very ill with cancer.

My friends pick on me now because my wife took asthetics, so she has been giving me facials, eyebrow waxes, laser, etc. If she likes it, I like it. I like to look good and its getting harder with age. I learned some great tips from the queer eye for the straight guy show, the biggest being that I dont shave backwards anymore, a habit since 16. I also use "products" now :) One of the guys from the show hails from my area.

Im notorious for saying whats on my mind or speaking the truth, rarely with thought of the consequences, one reason people think I have "attitude" and why I have maybe 6 VERY good friends as opposed to a lot.

Anyhow, that went long winded as mentioned above, but I want people to know that if I pick on ANY particular race or group, it is in jest and I take it as good as I give it, actually, I almost like it. I believe in "live and let live" and wish others would. I also think you need to laugh at yourself to keep sane. I have friends from Quebec Canada and I laugh at them to their face about all the French people and the language and remind them planes leave for France daily. In return, I usually get Italian based comments. America is a melting pot, were all Americans, not black, white, red, gay or anything else. Thats long forgotten and I believe laughing at yourself, not taking things too seriously would help solve many biases.

These fashions shows are EXACTLY like car shows with concept vehicles. What you see is often over the top and bits and pieces will make it into a car like a certain hood, door, grill, headlight or curve. So, no one will wear those exact outfits (hopefully) but they may influence future designs. Ive worn jeans and t-shirts since I can recall, so its all the same to me.

So, there you go. My stupid comment hopefully comes into context for you. I do get it. I just dont care, it was an opportunity to be silly and I knew in TEXT that it would backfire. Hopefully you understand me better, so next time I call you a name, I probably dont mean it ;)

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

People with closed minds can not see when others minds are open ...well said MA. Nor can they find the humor to laugh at themselves.:major

10. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Won't use the "Quote" button, but I ditto your post exactly M.A., but hey I am certain you know that alreadyLOL

Oh and M.A. I like the addition of the "New Smilies" and notice that others do too

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Stop avoiding the question.

Is he holding a purse?

12. BCGray

BCGray Guest

roflmao roflmao Hey Adrynalyne what's with the Purse confused , you have a Purse fetish or are you just looking for one for that adorable daughter of yours:D :D

13. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Whatever it is . . I think it's FABULITH !!!

14. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Hey BirdBath me thinks you got something stuck between your teeth, your lisping again boy, I say your lisping again boy:D

15. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Adryn... i touched on that one

MA... I am sorry if my efforts did not come out as tounge in cheek as I intended. I have known you for quite a while and have nothing but respect for you. That entire spiel was intended as a tounge in cheek view of the industry that I am going into (Well, I do the hair end of it anyway) and not as a downer to anyone, if I didn't get that across properly, I apologize.

~C

16. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Actually, I jsut want to add a little bit to my last post, and hopefully give you all a littel bit better look at what I was aiming at, becuase I hope if you can catch a little of my perspective, you will fall out of your chair laffing at it :)

MA knows who I am and I think has an idea that my concept of fashion for many years was jeans and a t-shirt or golf shirt. THere are a few other people here who know me IRL and have seen that as well. The thing is, life has a way of tossing you a curve bal when you least expect it.

I spent a lot of years in the ehalth field, and then realized that it was not where I really beolnged...

(insert boring story on exploring and learning about who i am here)

Thing is, I have been cutting hair in my kitchens for years and years (like 16). I wanted to do so0mething with that, because it was a way for me to work up to making some nice money, and it was a job where I got to spend time with people. Well... on the way through beauty school (LOL @ me) I found that a large part of the hair industry is fashion and trends.

One of my new years resolutions was to improve my personal style ofr the coming year to achieve a more cutting edge look to score the jobs I want in the industry. So now this jean and t-shrt with s scraggly beard and liekly no hair guy is suddenly going around in casual slacks (Dockers) and cargo pants (again Dockers), shaving on a regular basis, letting the hair grow, shaving, getting the eyebrows waxed, layering clothes, etc.

It took me a long time to get to the point where i was totally comfortable with this new me, and while I enjoy it, I also know I used to laugh at how much effort people who looked like I don now put into their appearance. I was always a judge the book after you read it, not by the cover, type person. Now here I am with that urban messiah look. WHen I look at the fashion industry as a whole, i do have to laugh still at some of the stuff that makes it's way to the runways, but I also have learned to appreciate the how's and why's of fashion and how it does affect our everyday lives. (honestly, watch 'The Devil Wears Prada' great examples there.)

WHile I respect the fashion industry, I have not quite embraced it all the way, therefore, I like to poke fun at it while sounding like i actually know what I am talking about.

So.... that being said, i hope you will forgive my poor efforst at poking fun at my chosen industry. Tim, you are a helluva guy, and honestly, I look up to you in a number of ways. I would honestly hate to think that you felt I was putting you down or taking what you said in any way other than you being you.

OK... gettin all weepy here, this was supposed to be a funny thread.

~C

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  17. Major Attitude

2 words.

Cool beans :)

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

LOLLOLLOL

19. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

[humor]
    Mary.... it's more like FAAAAAAAAAAABULETH!!! wtih the stress on the long first syllable.
    [/humor]

*grin* Funny thing is actually hearing someone say it.

~C

PS: IF you just don't get it, let me know and I will explain :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  20. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Give a girl a chance, I'm new at this. :D

21. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

LOL... is all good. Mary is a term used between homosexual males as in informal term for someone who acts in an overly femme manner. Of course, like any other term, it tends to0 get stretched and used elsewhere as well, but that is the general gist of it. Usually the person being addressed as Mary is about to be instructed about some perceived flaw in thier style, actions or comments.

*grin* See, educational and fashionable at the same time.... LMAO!!!@me

~C

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds