WinXP taskbar not responding

Discussion in 'Software' started by cenoslave, Aug 16, 2006.

1. cenoslave

cenoslave Private E-2

Hi!
    I have a problem that I'm pretty stumped on. A few days ago my taskbar start acting weird; when I click on it with my mouse pointer, I can't interact with the taskbar in any way, and I get a *ding* sound every time I click. I ran bitdefender virus scan and adaware and ccleaner, which all found things and removed them, but the problem persists. When it first started happening I could just restart my pc and the taskbar would start working again after reboot, but now no matter how many times I reboot I still have a non working taskbar. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for help.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, which part of the taskbar is causing issues? START, systray, clock, tasks, quick launch?

For a sudo-test, try hitting CTRL + ESC. Does this bring up the start menu?

3. cenoslave

cenoslave Private E-2

Yeah I can hit ctrl+esc (or the windows key) and the start menu will pop up. But any actual clicking on the taskbar doesnt work, ie i can bring up the start menu with the start button, but I can't click on the start menu to bring it up, I just get the ding sound.

4. erikske

erikske Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds