Need help on Entry point SWLWAPI.dll

Discussion in 'Software' started by donotentra, Oct 14, 2004.

1. donotentra

donotentra Private E-2

Hi. I tried to download the SP2 and cancelled it during as it was taking too long. (Profesional Edition). I shut my computer and restarted it today. Now I am getting this error:

The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SWLWAPI.dll.

I have searched high and low for more info. on how to fix this and couldn't find anything.

What happens is I log in and get this error. I am still able to get into the Windows XP screen where all my files are - but the Start button and all desktop features will not display. I can get into some of my files in regular working mode via the task bar "ctrl alt delete" and get something there, but I really need to see the Start Menu etc. for obvious reasons. Is anyone there that can help me?? Pls. at this moment im using Opera because when try opening i get the same error.

Thanks,

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

are you sure you didn't cancel it while it was installing?

Try to complete the install of SP2 and be patient. It does take some time to complete. The WORST thing you can do is cancel it while it's installing.

if you can't see your start menu try hitting CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to pull up the task manger. Go to file, then run new task and type in EXPLORER.EXE and hit enter.

3. donotentra

donotentra Private E-2

i get the same error.i mean right now,at this very moment,while im typing this, im logged in the net by opera.i cant run new task ie.the same error comes out :(

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

how about .. new tasking IEXPLORE.EXE instead.. ? and then hitting windows update.

SP2 should also have created a restore point but that may be difficult to get to right now.

5. donotentra

donotentra Private E-2

i tried surfing the net looking for solutions but the nearest i got is that to boot up my pc with the xp cd and do the repair through the recovery console.the thing is i dont know what files to copy or repair......

6. donotentra

donotentra Private E-2

same error.... i mean the last thing i could try is reinstalling windows but i think theres a way to fix it without reinstalling.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Running a repair is as hard as hitting R on your keyboard. The repair function takes care of the rest.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

9. donotentra

donotentra Private E-2

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

11. donotentra

donotentra Private E-2

im a bit confuse now.im running on broadband.im in the process of downloading
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en
    eemm.... about the repair thing,im stuck because i dont know what files are damaged.and im not sure about 'run the patch off the floppy'
    im not so good with computers.sorry.but hey, thanks for helping me out.im gonna try and run the package u recommend downloading(the above link) n see what happens.

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I found this, but I cannot tell which file is being replaced.

SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI" appeared and I was unable to replace the shlwapi.dll file.

The problem was solved by booting within windows cd, and starting windows in repair mode, so I could get passed the windows system file protection system and replace corrupted file within simple dos commands del and copy.

Steve

13. donotentra

donotentra Private E-2

Well, KODO, the download patch ran by itself automatically.it kinda update my dll files?im not sure myself.i restarted my PC hoping... but the same thing happen.only my wallpaper.but theres a slight difference.this time the error was

The procedure entry point SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library SWLWAPI.dll.

i ran back everything u told me ( new tasking explorer) still the same error.so, i guess ill just have to reinstall my Xp and hope that everythings fine.last worst thing if i have no other choice,is FORMAT :(

14. donotentra

donotentra Private E-2

i found that answer too.it was from another language translated to english.the last sentence was sorry if my english is bad.thats the thing,the files that were being replaced is not mentioned.
    Anyway thank you so much Matacumbie for helping.i appreciate it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds